MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Platelet transfusion

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Platelet transfusion

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Carol Ward
    Participant

Has anyone had a platelet transfusion that didn’t work or raise your platelets. I need to
    Raise my platelets for surgery.

Jean Ira
    Participant

Carol, My husband needed matched platelets when he didn’t respond to general platelet transfusions. I hope your surgery goes well.

Bonnie Shaffer
    Participant

Hi Carol,
    I had a failed platelet transfusion while I was being prepared for a preventative double mastectomy due to having the BRCA1 gene.

All hell broke loose about 9 minutes into the transfusion. My blood pressure went from 144/75 to 60/30 in minutes. I threw up, had a bowel movement, my temperature spiked and I itched all over. The surgery was cancelled due to the severe allergic reaction.

The Doctor mentioned that she had given my B+ platelets (I’m O negative) and that some red blood cells might have gotten into the platelets.

I did some research and found that up to 30% of people have a reaction to a platelet transfusion.

I would urge your Dr. to match the platelets to your blood type, even though normally platelets do not need to match your blood type.

Best of luck to you and I hope everything goes well!

Carol Ward
    Participant

Thank you. I will check into that. Did you ever get your surgery.

Carol Ward
    Participant

I wonder why they don’t try to match your platelets properly the first time. I
    Waited so long to get the bag of platelets in the hospital 6 hrs and then they didn’t raise up my platelets. I was on rounds if IV antibiotics from sn abscess on my colon and I think the antibiotics lowered my platelets from 40 to 2o.

Bonnie Shaffer
    Participant

Hi Carol,

I did not get my surgery. They offered to try again with better matched platelets, but I declined.

They did not really know what caused the reaction and I didn’t want to go through that again.

I am doing contrast breast MRIs every 6 months.

So sorry you are dealing with this.

Sending good thoughts.

Carol Ward
    Participant

I am sorry to hear that.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert