MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Platelets, Pineapple, naturepathy

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Platelets, Pineapple, naturepathy

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    hmblume

1. In response to an earlier inquiry re what in pineapple helped platelet count, Patti advised that it was the ‘bromelian enzyme’. It may also be that very fresh pineapple is more helpful.

2. I looked up ‘bromelian’ on Yahoo search, and it came back with ‘Bromelain’ or ‘Bromelian’, an extract produced by a South African company. The quoted attributes seem very BAD for CMML patients and other low platelet patients. E. g.,
    it promotes blood thinning, prevents excessive blood platelet stickiness, decreases thrombopheitis (web search on this came back with Bromelain; I cannot find a definition), acts as anti-inflammatory, and causes increased bleeding when used with anti-coagulants.

Stanford’s Peter Greenberg was mildly curious and somewhat supportive when I noted the positive platelet response to pineapple, but stated “stay away from Bromelain”.

Can it be that bromelian enzyme in very fresh pineapple is helpful, but the processed bromelian is deleterious??

After my first month of pineapple, my platelet count jumped much higher, but later counts with perhaps less fresh pineapple were in line. With a dropping platelet count and also a recent platelet infusion (for a colonoscopy), I cannot self-experiment for a while.

3. There is a low platelet support group, PDSA, platelet disorder support association, (also with a readers forum) mostly or totally for ITP patients (I was diagnosed with ITP 1994-2002, now CMML). Their most recent newsletter shows a naturepathic medication for low platelets. Web-site is getwellnatural.com (prior web-site was getwellinternational.com). Dr. David Kuter, chief Hematology at Mass General Hospital has joined the PDSA board.

Has anyone had experience with either PDSA or Getwell??

Also, while platelets draw the most concern in my consultations at Stanford and Palo Alto Clinic, does fixing platelets leave behind the other CMML issues in worse, better, or neutral shape? I cannot tell from the getwell web-site what are their ingredients or whether they relate to some of the other naturepathic remedies reported in this forum.

patti

Hm,

It is very possible there is a difference between fresh bromelain and that which is produced in a lab setting. I think I have to agree with Greenberg on this one. Unless it’s fresh, I would stay away from bromelain as a supplement (for MDS/CMML patients). For those that are healthy I think it’s fine for sinus issues, etc. I still believe the pineapple is okay. I have no idea what the mechanism is in fresh pineapple that helps the platelets but I was surmising it was the bromelain simply because that is the main enzyme in the fruit. I could be very wrong. That is just my best guess. Mom’s naturapath is actually looking into this to see if she can figure out what the mechanism is that helps.

I looked at the getwell website but could not find which herbs they were recommending for low platelets. Do you have the webpage it’s on? I’d like to look at what herbs they’re recommending before commenting. You have to be careful with herbs and research them well. Case in point, I just had a major allergic reaction to some herbs I started a couple of days ago. Still haven’t figured out if it’s the two together or one of them individually. Since you have the CMML and have to be so careful it would be wise to search out what’s in the formula. I’d love to do some research on it if you can send me the right page (mom has low platelets).

Best wishes,

patti

Jim

I tried 1/3 to 1/2 of a fresh pineapple per day along with the black sesame seeds and didn’t see any significant gains. My Platelet count ranged from the low to the high 20s. Well within the accuracy of the measurement.

JW

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert