MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Please Help Me

Home forums Patient Message Board Please Help Me

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    ali_clare
    Participant

Hello,
    I am 26 and my fiance 34 has been diagnosed with MDS raeb 18% blasts. He has had his first round of chemo with fludarabine,cytarabine but his counts did not come up quick enough after his bone marrow biopsy he was shown not to be in remission but the test was inconclusive beacuse the marrow was so surpressed.

The doctors told him that they got rid of about half. He has now gone through his second lot the same drugs but idarubcin mylotarg and gcsf added. The doctors have told him now that the first lot didnt get rid of about half and the cancer is proving to be resistant and that there is ony a 50% chance of remission if not he will be sent home to die. The worse thing is that before they left they told us that they had a donor in america 10/10 match.

I dont want to lose him and it is only two weeks left for his counts to recover, please if anyone has gone through something like this I would be grateful for any advice everyone just keeps telling us to be positive but its so hard.
    Ali

Donna

Hi Ali, I can imagine your fear and worry must be unbearable. I’m sorry I can’t answer any of your medical questions, but I know there are many people on this forum who can and will offer you great advice.

Hang in there, think positive and stay strong.

Donna

Suzanne

Ali, I know it is hard especially since you are both so young with so much life ahead. There really isn’t anything anyone can say except that a 50% chance that this will work is a pretty good chance-better then many of us are given with the treatments we try. I also want you to know that counts it is normal fpr counts to be slower to come back after the second round of chemo.Mine took over 30 days to start coming back after that round and I did not have all the chemicals they gave your fiance. Looks to me like they gave him just about everything possible in hopes of getting him into remission. He is young enough to have a good change of success with a bone marrow transplantif he does go into remission. We will all hope things go well with this round of chemo and everybody here will be waiting with you.

ali_clare
    Participant

Hello,
    Thanks to everyone for their kind words you are all stars!!! I feel I am not alone.
    Ali

sarah

You are not alone. We are here for each other. Please keep us updated.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert