MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Polymyalgia

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Polymyalgia

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Michael
    Participant

Diagnosed with MDS MLD in June 2016. I have been on watch and wait since with relatively stable cbc results–
    mild anemia (12 hgb), normal platelets, low wbc (1 to 1.7) and low ANC (.2 to .6)

Blood work on 7/22/19– 10.7 hgb—228 platelets—1.53 wbc and .45 ANC. Also on 7/22/19 diagnosed with Polymyalgia Rheumatica PMR. Severe muscle, tendon, and joint stiffness. Prescribed 15mg of prednisone daily and relief from stiffness and soreness after 3 days is remarkable. Likely will be on prednisone for 1 yr or more.

Anyone on here have experience with PMR? Advice and/or experience is welcomed.

Thanks

Donna
    Participant

Hi Michael,
    I also have MDS MLD and have recent aches in my legs and arms, sometimes my shoulders seem involved, worse during the night and when I first get up on the morning. It is the tops of my arms and tops of my legs, above elbows and knees. I have been on daily antibiotics and my NP took me off it to see if that might have been causing the new aches. Personally, I looked it up and don’t see it as a side effect but I do see it for MDS itself or from the chemo I get….Dacogen IV 5 days in a row every 4 weeks. I have had 3 cycles so far and these symptoms seemed to start around the time of the 2nd cycle. Joint stiffness is involved but for me it doesn’t have a name yet. I had to keep adding diagnoses. I have had platelet (2) and RBC (1) transfusions. My last labs after transfusions:platelets were 14,000 (8000 before transfusion), RBC 2.81; Hemoglobin 8.7; ANC .2; WBC .9. Are you at a Center for Excellence?
    Donna

Michael
    Participant

Yes to C of E but. I have yet discussed Polymyalgia with my expert. I am seeing local hematologist in a week and after that discussion will reach out to my expert.

The prednisone (steroid treatment) has totally relieved by pain issues but how it’s use impacts my MDS is the next natural response.

Be well

Donna
    Participant

Michael….I have osteoporosis and was told to never have steroids. Do they use Lyrica for that? Are you worse in the morning? Donna

Michael
    Participant

Donna

A halmark of Polymyalgia is joint and muscle pain which is most severe in the morning. It is an autoimmune disease and the standard treatment is prednisone. I think lyrica is used for fibromyalgia which is not an autoimmune disease but related to central nervous system.

Quite frankly I’m not happy to take steroids but the pain relief is remarkable. It restored quality of life. My reasearch tells me that the prednisone will increase my wbc and neuts which have been always very low since mds diagnosis. Yes there is concern about osteoporosis but I have been taking vit d daily for years. Also I get a good exposure to sunlight as I play golf 4 times per week ( something I couldn’t do in the 3 weeks prior to PMR diagnosis).

I’ll have long discussion at my next hemo appt in 10 days.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert