MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Possible Diagnosis

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Possible Diagnosis

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    rileybehrens
    Participant

Good evening everyone. I have a follow up appointment at City of Hope this week, but wanted to share my bloodwork and symptoms to see if this is common at the time of diagnosis.

I’ve been experiencing headaches, night sweats, bone pain, and extreme fatigue since last fall. This is my latest bloodwork:

WBC – 1.3
    HEMOGLOBIN – 10.5
    HEMATOCRIT – 33.2
    MCH – 25.4
    MCHC – 30.6
    RDW – 17.7
    PLATELETS – 149
    IANC – 1.3

My peripheral blood smear showed tear drop cells, spherocytes, schistocytes, elliptocytes, ovalocytes, poikilocytosis, and anisocytosis.

Normal ferritin, bilirubin, and B12.

Any input, advice, and/or suggestions are more than welcome.

jebs554
    Participant

Hi Rileybehrens,

Did you have bone marrow biopsy?

rileybehrens
    Participant

Hi there, I did. This appointment is to go over those results. I’m just really anxious.

jebs554
    Participant

What is the result of your BMB?

rileybehrens
    Participant

I don’t know yet. My doctor said she would go over it tomorrow. It hasn’t been released into my patient portal yet, so I have no idea. I guess I’m just trying to figure out if my blood work is consistent with MDS so far.

Clara Torres
    Participant

Don’t get over anxious over this yet. I was comfirmed with the BM bx on Mar 17th 2023 with very low risk MDS. My labs were very similar to yours except my wbc was nl, but my RBC was low. 15 months later my labs have stayed consistent. Thank God I am been watched every 3 month and do not require treatment. I hope and pray that you are ok like me. Take it 1 day at a time. Don’t over excerpt yourself, lots of rest, good diet and stay mobile. God speed.

Janet
    Participant

Hello Riley! I am assuming that you had your follow-up appointment yesterday. What was the outcome?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert