MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Prednisone effect on hemoglobin level?

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Prednisone effect on hemoglobin level?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Robin Smith
    Participant

I know prednisone can effect platelets and white blood cells, however I’ve not been able to find any information regarding it’s effect on hemoglobin. I’m currently on a short course of Prednisone for allergies and this morning I found out my hemoglobin has dropped from 9.0 to 8.6. Not a huge drop, however Procrit has managed to keep my level in the 9 to 10 range. Any thoughts about this will be greatly appreciated. Sending many good thoughts to everyone.. praying you’re all doing well. Robin

Michael
    Participant

I was on prednisone for 2 yrs, for relief from the effects of polymyalgia. I started at 15mg and the weening process was the most difficult thing I’ve ever had to manage. During that entire time there was no appreciable effect on my RBC or hemoglobin levels. During this period my RBC hovered around 4.2 and my hemoglobin hovered around 12.

In my 6+ years post MDS diagnosis my RBC and hemoglobin have been very stable. So far MDS has only effected my WBC and neutrophils, I am consistently classified as severely neutropenic.

Best wishes

Robin Smith
    Participant

Thank you so much for your input Michael. I’m going on close to three years with the Procrit injections and my hemoglobin numbers have been gradually trending down for the past couple of months so I was almost hoping the prednisone was bringing it down. But clearly that’s not the case. I have been increasing water intake in an effort to avoid a UTI infection and did find some information saying that increased hydration can bring hemoglobin down 10 to 15%. Hanging my hat on that for now and trying not to focus on the 8.6 number, but the trend which while trending down has been fairly consistent in the 9s. So far my WBC and neutrophils have been in the normal range (ha! did we ever in our lives imagine how wonderful the word “normal” would sound now!), but I have recently developed giant platelets and now have bruising that is a new development for me. Take good care Michael.. sending all good thoughts, good vibes, and prayers your way. And again, thank you for responding. Best, Robin

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert