MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Probiotics

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Probiotics

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Russ P.

Appreciate hearing any opinions pro or con on using probiotics to offset some chemo side effects. Some of them claim to improve the immune system. I am thinking of trying a yogurt like Dannon’s All Natural for the L. Acidolphillus which could possibly help with the excess gas and diarhea that I get near the end of my 5 day decitibine treatment.

sdrake

I’m no help with your question, but just wondering how you are doing?

Shari

jaxem

russ
    i thought yogurt was a no-no like shellfish for mds patients?

Russ P.

Shari, Not doing too bad so far. Just started 4th round decitibine today. My CBC this am was WBC 15.26; HGB 9.3 (up from 8.8 a week ago); PLT 83 (up from 50 last week). Have not had a tx for 9 weeks.

Jack, have not heard that yogurt was bad for MDS. Wish that search engine on this site was working.
    Russ

marlene

Hi Russ,

John takes a probiotic daily. Right now he uses Enzymatic Pearls. But we also eat plain yogurt and naurally fermented vegetables. I will add cucumbers, garlic and lemon to the yogurt….a very good combo. I would stay a way from any yogurt with added sugars. Goat and Sheep yogurt are easier to digest.

Jaxem…..why would it be a “no-no”?

Marlene

eve

hi russ

my dad took flora source – a probiotic – doctor had no problem with him taking it

my own personal opinion (and i am definitely not a pill popper) is that everyone can benefit from taking probiotics

but you better check with your doctor first

good luck
    eve

riley

My father had repeated bouts of C. diff after his gallbladder surgery. In addition to taking his antibiotics, his GI recommended that he drink a probiotic called DanActive. He had been on lactobacillus, but she said DanActive had more active cultures than lactobacillus or yogurt. DanActive is made by Dannon and can be found in the grocery story next to the yogurts. She recommended that he drink one in the morning and one at night. She felt strongly enough about it that she went to the grocery store and bought it for him while he was in the hospital!

Terri

Bob did the Yogurt and the Yogurt Drink Activa I believe by Dannon as well.
    Not sure how it helped with the MDS, he enjoyed it and did not effect the vidaza treatments when he was getting them.

Zoe

Shellfish is a no-no? I ate a ton of it over the holidays.

Zoe

gemloyear

Russ & all,
    People with a compromised immune system should not eat raw shell fish,cooked is fine as long as one is not allergic. Yogurt is a healthy food. Many antibiotics destroy the natural intestinal flora which can be replaced by probiotics.Bananas also help with this.Swishing yogurt in the mouth helps with fungal infections.
    When the search engine is restored one will be able to find many references for treatments with yogurt products. Good luck everyone.
    Ellie

jaxem

Elle & all

Cooked is NOT fine. NEVER eat shellfish cooked or not. bananas are raw. some facilities don’t even want you to eat an orange or banana even though you peel & discard the fruit. if someone else peels and cuts the fruit after hand washing & gives it to the patient, that’s ok.

Mary4Mike
    Participant

Hello All

When Mike was in the hospital a couple weeks ago during his nadir from Dacogen his WBC was .4. They told him no fresh fruit, fresh vegetables, or uncooked cheese. They also said live plants in the house was not a good idea because of bacteria. They weren’t thrilled either that we had a real Christmas tree. frown

Monday his WBC was 4.4 prior to beginning cycle 2 of Dacogen.

Zoe

What is the problem with shellfish? This is new to me, just trying to understand.

Zoe

gemloyear

Jack, Sorry I gave some bad advice.You’re right those on chemo do need to be more careful, and do need to check with their Dr. in regard to what is acceptable in their diets. Even as to raw fruit and vegetables which should be throughly washed before peeling, if the Dr. approves eating them.That go’es for juicing also. I guess almost all foods make a difference when one is on chemo,anything that might contain bacteria or fungus,rare meats etc.
    Zoe perhaps eating shellfish only applies to those on chemo as well?

jaxem

zoe
    as stated by elle, shellfish is notorious for vibrio cholera bacteria. Google the cdc for more about this. although they state that shellfish MUST be thoroughly cooked for all people to avoid this bacteria, sometimes even cooking doesn’t remove all the bacteria making people with compromised blood subject to it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert