MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Probiotics

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Probiotics

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Zoe

Thanks for the info. My reds are the only ones really affected at this point. So it should not be a problem, right? Although I do have a cold right now that I can’t seem to fully shake. I didn’t get strep even though two of my girls had it. Guess my immune system still kicks butt! :^)

Zoe

jaxem

russ
    googled “yogurt, compromised blood patients” and one “biflora” item talks about yogurt and compromised blood patients. asked my wife’s hematologist and Physician Assistant about it and they both stated their reservations about yogurt for my wife.

Russ P.

Jack,
    Did your wife’s docs indicate why the reservations? My hemo did not say yea or nay but goes along with whatever works. I feel like it has given me some benefit at this point.
    Russ

jaxem

russ
    they didn’t say why except that they feel there may be some bacteria in yogurt (vis-vis the biflora article) that pasteurization doesn’t kill. i get a feeling that the reservation for yogurt is same as reservation against cooked shellfish. i agree with your doc’s philosophy & the way you feel.

Jimbob

Interesting, at OHSU BMT clinic they gave out a sheet listing what was allowed and what should be avoided. Yogurt was specifically listed as ALWAYS okay. Many fruits that have non-smooth skin (like oranges) were not even to be touched by a patient. They are to be washed and then peeled by someone else. Other fruit, like raspberries could only be eaten if cooked. Shell-fish was a no no throughout the 180 days after SCT. I will try to find the list or get a current copy.
    Jim

camiboxer

Are the mentioned foods for ALL patients with MDS or just those undergoing chemo?

1Chris

Zoe,

A number of risk factors predisposing to infection with V vulnificus have been identified, including the consumption of raw seafood by patients who are immunocompromised2 or have liver disease and/or iron overload.

This is an interesting PubMed document on the subject.

http://tinyurl.com/yqdyll

Zoe

Chris,

When I click on your link, it takes me back to the first page of this topic.

Zoe

1Chris

Zoe,

I hope this works.

http://tinyurl.com/35w8el

Zoe

Got it, thanks, I am off to read it.

Zoe

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert