MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Question Regarding BMT

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Question Regarding BMT

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    PhyllisA

This may seem like an unusual question, but
    does anyone know if it is possible to freeze bone marrow from a donor for future use?

Any information that you are aware of would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Davea

Cord blood is kept in a frozen state and can last up to 15 years. I would assume that the same can be done with bone marrow.

Jimbob

When they harvested the cells from my brother, they told, they would rather use it right away to prevent mixture with DMSO but could freeze it indefinitely with no damage to the cells or overall outcome. My SCT was held up for about a month due to low neuts and overall WBC count. Also, had a severe gallbladder attack and had to have it removed. They did take an extra bag for possible future use. Jim

shirlsgirl

Hi Jimbob,

Do you still use the natural, organic ,alternative methods diet? Did you find it helped? I would love any information please if possible. Also, I’m very interested in your SCT procedure. My mom is meeting with the BMT team next month and would appreciate any info. Thanks smile Jody
    ps. I contacted Dr. Dror from Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto (HSC is the only Canadian MDS Center of Excellence) and unfortunately he only works with pediatric patients. frown

Hi Phyllis

I don’t know the answer but think that one of the transplant centers could tell you. The Clinical coordinator’s number at the Fred Hutch is 206-288-1024. That should get you in the door and they can transfer you for an answer.

Another source might be http://www.bmtinfonet.org butI think the Hutch might be faster.

PhyllisA

Thank you all for your replies. We read all of the postings regularly to gain information and it is really comforting to know that if we have questions we can ask. Everyone is always so good about replying.

Thanks again.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert