MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Questions

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Questions

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    katiebear

Hi,

My dad was diagnosed in March of 2006 with RAEB 2. He will complete his fourth round of Vidaza this month and we won’t really know until Sept. if it is actually working. He has had one tx for platelets, and gets a weekly shot of Procrit. He has mentioned to me that he has blasts in his blood, but either doesn’t know how many or doesn’t want to tell me. He also said he doesn’t know if he has abnormal chromosomes or not. From reading this site constantly, I know that his prognosis can be affected by whether or not his chromosomes are abnormal. He is 66 years old. I don’t mean to sound stupid, but I want to know what the difference is between having the blasts in your blood as opposed to having them in your marrow? Also, he keeps mentioning a SCT, as my aunt is a perfect match. Is it possible at his age? Not to mention the fact that he has a pacemaker, which I would think would not be a good thing in this case. He is being treated at Sloan, which I know is a Center of Excellence, so that’s good. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for listening…………..Katie

eve

hi katie

where on long island are you

eve

Hi Katie:

Here’s my understanding of blasts in the bone marrow vs. the peripheral blood stream.

Blasts are basically immature cells, and since many cells are formed in the bone marrow, it is “normal” to see a certain percentage of them within the bone marrow. However, normally the blood cells should be past a certain stage of maturity “before” they are released into the peripheral blood stream. So, it is *not* normal to have blasts in the peripheral blood stream. Seeing blasts in the peripheral blood stream shows that the cells are not maturing normally or fully, and/or being released into the peripheral blood stream in an abnormal fashion.

Also note that blasts can refer to both reds and whites, but it’s the immature whites which people generally/commonly refer to as blasts. Immature reds are also technically blasts, but commonly referred to as reticulocytes or retics. And the degree of immaturity for the reds in the peripheral blood stream can give a hint as to whether they are maturing properly or not. Generally, the larger the red cell, the less mature or properly developed it may be, and if it still has its DNA within it also show what stage of development it is in, etc.

Hope this helps,

Marla

katiebear

Eve, I’m in Riverhead, where are you?

Marla, Thank you very much for the info. I appreciate the way you explained it, as I’m sure you know, it’s hard to understand some of the medical terms associated with this nightmare. I just hope my dad reacts to the Vidaza. We just lost my mom to lung cancer two years ago, and we still haven’t gotten over that yet. I’m going over this weekend to see if he’ll let me see the results of his latest tests. I really appreciate you answereing me…………Katie

eve

katie

i am in roslyn

eve

lbeachbum2

H

Dennis

[QUOTE]Originally posted by katiebear:
    He is 66 years old…. Also, he keeps mentioning a SCT, as my aunt is a perfect match. Is it possible at his age?

I know of SCT done up to age 80. Obviously once past 50, it gets a bit more personal a decision. — but it can be done.

Reduced intensity condidtioning makes the process more tolerable to un, experienced citizens.

I’m 54 and will probably undergo one this year.

Dennis

katiebear

Hi Dennis,

Thank you for responding. I didn’t know at those ages it was possible. Everything I read seems to say otherwise. That gives me hope. I stopped at my dad’s yesterday, and I was talking about this with him. I asked him how many people his doctor performed this procedure on who had pacemakers. He said none. Then he laughed and said somebody has to be first. I’m glad he’s got a sense of humor still, but I’m still worried about that. I appreciate your responding to my post with some positive feedback. I will keep you in my prayers also. Katie

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert