MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

questions about new q5 detetion diagnosis

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board questions about new q5 detetion diagnosis

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Mary Roth
    Participant

I’m 65 and I’ve recently been diagnosed with q5 deletion. My hemoglobin is 102 (that’s how it is measured in Canada, but I think that is the same as 10.2 ?) Can that level be causing my tiredness? Or, does it have to be lower to blame my tiredness on low hemoglobin? Also, can anyone tell me if my hemoglobin will continue to go down slowly, or, will it nosedive in the future?
    Thanks!

Michele Polland
    Participant

I have the 5q Deletion (also MDS with excess blasts-1). My platelets stayed in the 70 range for several years and has now dropped to the 35-45 range. Yes, MDS causes tiredness.

Tom Nelson
    Participant

I am del5q identified (age 77) for 5 years. Hgb went from 14. to 10.5 when finally diagnosed. Yes tiredness was the 1st major concern and continues. Hgb now maintain at 8.4 with 2 different shots ( 1weekly, 1 Bi weekly). I work in spurts and can do most required daily tasks. Had to quit yard work. Had to quit choral singing. Am my wife’s primary care-giver so need to be active. Thank goodness no transfusions required yet. Del5q is slow moving.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert