MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Rash (Welts) after Dacogen

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Rash (Welts) after Dacogen

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Has anyone ever had rach or welts after taking Dacogen? Dad had an itchy scalp and a SLIGHT rash with 7 rounds of Vidaza but nothing like this. BMB showed 5% in October. Had one round of Dacogen beginning of December. Nadired Christmas but rebounded. Had to have transfusions during this time. Never had to with Vidaza. Doctor prescribed Prednisone with the last dose today. He did not seem worried and said we were going to hold off on chemo for awhile. It seems the welts are breaking out on neck and face more now than before. ITCHY ITCHY ITCHY!! Any ideas what or how to combat the itchiness??

gemloyear

Hi daughter, It seems like an allergic reaction .My husband never took dacogen but did have a severe reaction to antibiotics, welts and itch,which soon covered his entire body. Prednisone is sometimes given for allergies, and also prescription benedryl. Watch for swelling, especially throat and ears (edema). If this occurs get him to the ER. If he still has the welts and itch tomorrow contact his Dr., be a pest if you need to.
    Good luck, Ellie

gemloyear

Hi Heather, I just read your other post. I hadn’t thought of shingles but Poppy may have something there. My sister-in-law broke out with shingles when she was taking chemo for lymphoma. There is a lotion or cream which relieves the itchiness,
    prescription Triamcinolone, it works really well.
    Ellie

poppyshope

Hi there I was searching in my dad’s medical records because I remember him having shingles too… and it was 2 months before his dx that he broke out in shingles right after he was deemed anemic after a well check up cbc. There must be a link between the parvo virus that causes shingles and chicken pox, because it effects the red blood cells exclusively, and with those taking chemo and or with a disease of the blood and immune system , like mds, this must be a weak spot-I wonder? Anyway what about oatmeal baths for the itching? Hope he feels better.-Jen

Mary4Mike
    Participant

Hi Jen,

I think you meant shingles is a herpes virus called herpes zoster. Anyway, I have had shingles and believe me it did not itch. It hurt so bad, more like a burning tingle. Shingles is more like oozing sores rather than a rash and it does not cover the whole body. It is usually on the chest or stomach. I would guess that Heather’s dad is having a severe reaction to the Dacogen.

Heather: How soon did your dad break out after the Dacogen treatment? I hope he recovers soon.

poppyshope

Mary you are right I am confusing the zolster with parvo because my son has thalascemia minor and the parvo virus b19 effects the red bloods and when he is exposed to the fifths or chicken pox or when my dad had shingles- he needs a transfusion because he stops making red blood cells, should he get it, that are mature (even though he never has true mature ones hence the “mediterranian anemia”)- sorry I just remember dealing with the Hematologist for my son and the one for my dad and trying to keep the two straight. But shingles is a dormant chicken pox virus if i am not mistaken? And that is in the parvo family i looked it up to be sure they are 5 viruses- chicken pox, measles, mumps, rubella, and the fifths disease. I remember also a lot of talk among the nurses about cancers and that a lot of reasearch is being done with it stemming from maybe virus exposure… or that it is a virus like disease -is that true? Maybe Jack or Neil can lend a hand at explaining that link or did I not get the full story. Anyway I remember my dad being itchy with shingles not as painful but he had a very high pain thresh hold he didn’t think BMB were painful when done right just uncomfortable-go figure. He also did not like to take pain meds so he would sit in oatmeal baths-and a steroid cream the sores were on his back and shoulder. Hope i have this right and sorry for the confusion- Jen

gemloyear

Hi Jen, Shingles is a Herpes zoster virus. When one has chicken pox the virus stays dormant in the body forever and then can come out later in life as shingles when ones immune system is lowered by another illness. I spoke to a cancer researcher at the University of Minn. years ago and she stated that they were trying to figure out which came first the cancer or the herpes zoster.The cream I mentioned is a steriod. One thing that I learned with my husband’s illness is that the low immune system leaves a patient open to many skin infections. He had at least 5,most were painful,itchy and sore! I hope that I explained this well enough as I am going strictly by memory.
    Ellie

choijk

I recall reading somewhere that the chemo affects the hair line first. I recall when my father was on Revlimid for 5 days, he had this terrible itchy scalp. He also broke out into hives and we had to take him to the ER where he was given predisone.

My father also had shingles after his dx of MDS and I think in the first 2-3 days, it did itch. But soon after, they became really painful.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert