MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

RBC dropped ?

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board RBC dropped ?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    mike abrams
    Participant

I was diagnosed with MDS low risk 2 years ago , at that time I was able to see Dr.Greenberg at Stanford , he advised me to take 40,000 units of Procrit weekly which I have been doing faithfully……during this period my RBC has maintained anywhere from 9.3 to 9.9 or so. In Oct 2019 I developed Squamous cell cancer on both of my forearms , not real bad ,so the skin Dr.(who knows that I have MDS) prescribed a topical cream (Fluorouracil) I was told to apply it twice a day for 6 weeks which I did …..3 weeks later I went in for my monthly blood test, my RBC plunged to 8.3 . I learned that the cream I was using is a mild form of chemo , of course I stopped using the cream right away, my oncologist here in Hawaii does not think that the cream could cause such a sudden drop in my blood count, but also does not have a clue as to what caused it. I have continued to take my weekly dose of Procrit and now after almost 2 months my red blood cell count is still 8.3-8.4 , no increase. I am fatigued from the anemia ,I feel like crap ! my Dr.here wants me to double up on the Procrit to twice a week (80,000 units), I started today as I really feel lousy. Has anyone had a similar experience with a fast drop in RBC or from using Fluorouracil ?

tam
    Participant

I have used Efudex 5% fluorourcil two times since being diagnosed with MDS in 2013. A couple years ago I applied the cream to an actinic keratosis spot two times per day for two weeks. I did not notice a change in my rbc, wbc or platelets at my follow-up blood test. Six weeks ago I again applied Efudex 5% twice per day for two weeks to the same spot. I have not had a subsequent blood test so can’t tell if it has impacted my counts. My next blood test is scheduled in April. I will report back after my next test. My dermatologist said it should impact my blood counts given the small area that I was treating.
    TAM

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert