MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Re: more questions about the husband

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Re: more questions about the husband

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

I wrote a couple of days ago about my husband just being diagnosed with MDS with refractory anemia and ringed sideroblasts. His white blood count is normal but his red platelets are low and have been getting lower with each bloodtest. The hemotolgist told us that the red count can vary different times of the day all the time meaning it could test as low at one time and if we did another test at another time of the day it could be higher. I’m really worried about this disease and it’s progression. Right now my husband is feeling fine even though he also has type 2 diabetes and HBP. He works everyday and wants to continue doing that. Does anyone else still work even though having these disease and how long have you been working after diagnosis? My husband is 63 and works as an elevator repairman but he has most of the younger workers do the heavy work. Should he still be taking his daily baby aspirin? Does anyone take any natural supplements?

thanks,
    susan

Zoe

Susan,

You said his red platelets are low, do you mean red blood cells and platelets, or just red blood cells? I would check with his hemo about the asprin. I do take Natural Factors vitamins. They have made a huge difference for me and even raised my hemoglobin by 2 grams! I can’t say everyone would have that result, just my story. Different people have found different things that work for them.

As for work, I do work. In fact I am in the process of starting my own practice while involved in start up of a community center. If he feels fine, I say go for it!

Zoe

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert