MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Reality Check

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Reality Check

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Lori

I think sometimes we all need a reality check. Many of us write in about our parents/spouses and how frustrating this disease is because for most of them there really isn’t a “good” treatment, only supportive. My 82 y/o Mom was diagnosed 4 years ago and the writing is on the wall. Her WBC is 0.6, plt 5, Hgb 6.5. Transfusions are coming closer and closer together. Her doc wanted to do another BMB and we said “Why? What will we do differently?” He said we were right, she isn’t a candidate for chemo, the procrit is as high as it can be, the Revlimid she is on now doesn’t seem to be doing any good. But, you know what? It’s all about quality of life. She can still go to church every morning (important to her), Sunday dinner at my sisters house (imp to her), visit with her friends when they are in town (also, imp to her), etc. She was supposed to live to be 100 like her ancesters but thats just not going to happen. As long as she is happy and can do the things important to her – thats what matters. I think about all of you and pray for your family members. Take care of them, tell them you love them and support what is important to them. Lori

SusanJ

Lori,

SusanJ

Lori,

You are so right. My dad had another bone marrow biopsy this morning and we will learn the results next Monday. He has been getting shots of Aranesp and received his first blood transfusion last week. I am so afraid that this biopsy will show that he has progressed to leukemia. I have been trying to “wish” this away but it’s not going away. I’ve been asking “why my dad, he’s only 73” then I think why should we be spared going through this, because there are so many others even younger going through it. I know in my head that none of us are promised tomorrow and we should be thankful for every day. This is just so hard. I want him to live to be 100. I pray for all of you too. God bless.

Susan

Donna

Well said Lori!

Donna

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert