MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Rough 24 hours, but thanks!

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Rough 24 hours, but thanks!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    camiboxer

I felt the need to publicly thank all of you who have responded to my original thread, pm’ed me and to a fellow “local” who even spent a good portion of a stormy Ohio afternoon speaking with me on the telephone. Random acts of kindness for sure!

Since I first heard of my dads dx yesterday I have been on complete auto-pilot. My type-A personality with a little anal retentiveness thrown in has allowed me to continue breathing.
    Since my dads Dr. didn’t tell him what MDS was OR what to expect, I decided that I would also withhold any info that I have learned in my crash course online study. I am just learning to properly pronounce the full word and don’t want to upset his currently blissful state.

He assumes that nothing is very serious since he “Feels fine”.
    After his by-pass in 2000 he was a sponge and took everything that the Dr’s and I said as the gospel. He changed his lifestyle. He exercised (treadmill) and did a 180 on his diet.
    The past year or so he has stopped exercising. After so much pain in his feet from walking he finally gave in and went to a podiatrist. 2 surgeries on each foot are needed to get him able to do any type of exercise involving him being on his feet for any period of time. He denied the request stating that he was too old to be flat on his back and unable to walk for the next 6 months. Perhaps he knew something none of us near him knew?

My step mother, who I believe cares for him deeply is the type of person that totally loses it when anyone she cares about takes ill. The ONLY thing she does is cry and clam up. When dad thought he was having a heart attack (prior to bypass) she couldn’t even call for a squad but rather gave him the phonebook for him to look up the number (they don’t have 911).

I don’t see her as EVER being able to monitor him properly nor help him once he does become dependant or in need of (possible) injections.

I am 2 hours away, own two personal business’s, a cancer and heart patient 3 year old dog and suffer from Fibromyalgia myself. Can’t forget hubby who (sorry men), can’t function without me!

As of right now I am in a hurry up and wait mode. I know what dad *might* have to face someday and if I could take it from him I would. At least I am young enough that I might have a better chance at a transplant and remission.
    I don’t know what to do or where to turn. I am dumfounded, sad, depressed, frightened and if truth be told…. slightly pi**ed off.

Thanks again for being here and for allowing me to blow off a little “MDS” steam!
    Susi

Terri

Thats what this forum is for, Hope things get easier for you.
    I keep all in my prayers

chuckk333

The AA&MDS Foundation International has a packet of stuff that they will send out to MDS patients/care givers and it contains a note book to keep all the data organized. The site contains a lot of possitive and usefull information http://www.aamds.org/aplastic/

I just received another packet from this MDS foundation that has a journal for all this information as well. Just request it.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert