MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

SCT

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Stephanie

My step-mother Glenda was diagnosed with MDS 2 years ago. She got into a clinical trial right away, just under the wire & went into a short lived remission! However, when she found she was no longer in remission she found her sister was a perfect 10/10 match! The 2nd round of chemo was hard on her but her MDS transformed to AML. The Dr says the leukemia has taken over. She is on a respirator due to a fungus on her lungs and she is currently recieving her 3rd round of chemotherapy. The Dr has stated the family will need to be prepared to unplug the respirator. Please keep Glenda, my father and our family in your prayers. And believe me. It is a lot harder then I thought it would be to see what the last few days and minutes of my life are going to be like. What I have to face is not going to be easy. It’s scary, You know? Steph

Oh I accidently entered this under Zofran, when I wanted it to be it’s own topic-sorry, I just signed up for medicare part d b/c I’ve always had insurance and they wouldn’t give it to me.

Zoe

Oh Stephanie, I am so sorry. Just said a little prayer for you all.

Zoe

Stephanie

Thank you Zoe.

Bkwits

Dear Stephanie,

I know some of what you are dealing with. My stepson said that at first he prayed for his father to get better, or to live a while longer. Then finally, he just prayed for him not to suffer any longer. I always want to be with my loved ones to the end. I pray that you and your family find strength and some peace to get through this sad time.
    Barb

Stephanie

Thank you for the advice Barb. The Dr. Had originally given us Mon. as the day to make the decision about unplugging the machines and the feeding tubes, however, because he has seen some improvments he is going to postpone that dreadful day a while and see what happens. Because, while she is on the ventilators and feeding tubes and all the machines are sustaning her life they are still giving her chemotherapy and trying to get some that get the now AML to respond.

Russ P.

Stephanie, Just said a prayer for you and your loved ones.

Stephanie

Thank you Russ. I just returned from the hospital. No change. My father is frustrated and quite frankly fit to be tied! The Drs are doing absolutely nothing at this point! They are now administering her no chemo, they are not removing the respirator/feeding tube, they are not moving forwards or encouaging us to make peace with the unplugging of the machines.
    Thank you for your prayers and support.

jga_socal

Doctors give up hope long before the loved ones. It’s all about statistics. My wife’s mother died last Nov. 5 weeks after a stroke. The Docs were suggesting the termination of life support early on. I guess they’ve seen it all so many times they can just sum it up and make that decision quickly. No emotional baggage weighing them down. Its been 3 days after your last post. I hope your step-mum is still making a fight of it. Its amazing to me the doctors removed chemo w/o family permission.
    May your step-mum go with God.
    Jim

Stephanie

Just a quick update. My father has hired an airplane ambulance to fly my mother to Mission, Tx. from the Houston area where she is currently in MD Anderson hosp. and have her in hospice care in their living room. Her platlets are 2000 we have lost count on all of her counts they are so low it is absolutely rediculous and he has decided it is best to discontinue any type of maintenance, we will follow them down tomorrow, she will have her lil doggie in bed w/her, and all the flowers in the room she wants. And the pastor singing and her favorite music playing as much and as loud or as little as she wants.
    She now has bed sores all over her and a blood clot in her leg. How she can get a blood clot in her leg with platlets @ 2000? I don’t understand? But, anyway, She will be walking and talking with Jesus Christ very soon!
    Thank you all very much for your well wishes and your support. Stephanie Diagnosed MDS 7-2000

Bkwits

Dear Stephanie, I have been wondering about you and your mom, and have been remembering you both in my prayers. It seems like you are doing the best thing possibe for your mom. As for blood clots…I asked Joe’s hemo/doc the very same question when he had blood clots. His platelets were down to almost nothing, so I asked why is he getting blood clots.
    Dr. G told me that the blood doesn’t clot when it is supposed to, but clots later causing problems. My sincere wishes and prayers for the most peaceful time possible. It sounds like your family is doing a lot to make that happen. God Bless you and yours. Barb

Mark NTN

Stephanie, Sorry to hear the news. My family will keep your famliy in our prayers. It was a nice move to get her into hospice and surrounding her with things that mean so much to her!

God Bless!

Stephanie

Mom passed this morning at 2:05 am we were at the hospital most of the night and because my RBC’s are low I ended up sleeping the day away. I am still just emotionally and physically drained. We had planned on leaving to go to Mission, Tx this morn at 6 am, my dad and brother went ahead and left. My brother lives here, in the Houston area as well as I (they were staying with him b/c he doesn’t have all the rug rats that I do, I have 5 children, 22-11) I stayed to rest and let my husband coach my son’s 1st baseball game tomorrow morn.
    Even though she was not my birth mother Glenda Woodward meant the world to me. She was a strong Christian lady and if it wasn’t for her I probably would not have the relationship with Christ that I have today! Thank you everyone for your prayers. Please keep praying. Pray that my husband and I, then my children who are traveling seperately, 700 miles round trip, + my brother and sister-in-law, will be returning and a bunch of other family members will be on the Texas roads these next few days & over this week. Please Pray for Safe Travel!

Stephanie Wood diagnosed MDS 7-2000
    Glenda Woodward diagnosed MDS 05′- 3/23/07

Yes believe it or not my maiden name is Woodward. As odd as it is!

patti

Stephanie,

I am sorry for your loss. I am heartened to know that your stepmom and you know the Lord. May God comfort and give you the peace that passes all understanding during this time. May travelling mercies be yours.

God bless,

patti

Bkwits

Stephanie, My heartfelt prayers for you and your family. Your mom is at peace. May God go with you all as you travel.
    Barb

Caroline

Stephanie.

I am sorry for your loss. You all fought hard with and for her. My prayers are with all of you as you go throught the next week.

Blessings,
    Caroline

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert