MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Second Try at SCT?

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Second Try at SCT?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    moyeral

Hi, my name is April and I am new to the forum, unfortunately not new to MDS.

My grandmother who is 65 (a very healthy and active 65) and has MDS RAEB, had a SCT in Sept 05, he brother was the donor. She flew through it, she didn’t get sick from the chemo, she was out of the hospital two weeks post transplant; it was amazing and we were happy. Everything was going along so great, by Mar 06 she was off the cyclosporin and tranfusion free. However, by May 06 she needed a booster from her brother and things were holding steady at a red blood transfusion every 3 weeks and the dr was hoping it would just slowly get better.

Well, none of her brother’s cells are left and we are transfusing every week, she has to take the exjade for her iron. The dr is suggesting another try at the transplant with a different chemotherapy regiment, we were sort of blown away, we didn’t know that would be an option. My grandmother wants to go for it, but I am scared, confused, basically running the rainbow of emotions. I want to make sure we understand every aspect before jumping in again.

Has anyone undergone a SCT twice or know someone who has, are there more risks, different risks?

I can’t seem to find anything on the internet about doing it a second time. If anyone has any information, I would be appreciative. Thanks in advance.

patti

April,

Others might chime in here with a specific experience but I wanted to give you another place to look also (more is always better in case of research). There are a number of people on leukemia forum that have undergone a second SCT. I’m having computer issues and can’t pull up the full web address but if you google the leukemia-lymphoma society they will have a link to patient forums.

Hope this helps.

patti

KWJ

The Hutch is currently doing a research study on this. They get 2 draws of the Stem Cells from the donor to use a 2nd time if needed.

Here is a link to another site where you may find info.

http://www.leukemia-lymphoma.org/ubb.adp?frame_url=http://ubb-lls.leukemia-lymphoma.org/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro&item_id=9388

Jimbob

When my brother’s cells were harvested in Feb 2004, they got two bags, just in case. One was used right away and they said that they would keep the other bag frozen indefinitley in case it is needed in the future. They said that once the stem cells are moving into the blood stream, may as well get them while the extra cells are available. Last visit, the doctor said that if production does not improve in three more months, I made get a part of the “reserves” as a booster but wwill not need to go through chemo and radiation again.
    Jim

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert