MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

severe headaches…any remedies

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board severe headaches…any remedies

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    lucym

Hello all………my Mom is suffering from severe headaches. Her doctor has prescribed perkaset for the pain and it seems to work but she needs to take it regularly. Does anyone have any suggestions on something else we could try? Thanks Lucy

patti

Hi Lucy,

I had a couple of thoughts. First, has your doctor made sure there isn’t something serious going on? If your mom has low platlets there is the potential for bleeding in the brain. I don’t want to scare you, I just know that’s something that can happen. Severe headaches can sometimes be a symptom of that. As for something else to try. You could try Natures Sunshines PSII if you’re looking for something more natural for her to take. I’m not sure if that’s what you were after. It is a COX-2 inhibitor but doesn’t have the side effects. You can look it up at http://www.naturessunshine.com. You can read about it there and see what you think. Bromelain also helps inflammatory responses in the body. I would also highly recommend MSM in high doses (3000mg a day is not uncommon – comes in 1000mg tabs). Taking 1500mg daily of a calcium/magnesium combo supplement long term can also help. I guess a lot depends on what type of headache she has. Is it migraine? Is it cluster? Where is it located?

I’m not sure if you were looking for non-drug alternatives or other types of drugs. There’s other stuff naturally but it helps to know what type of headaches she’s having first.

Best Wishes,

patti

lucym

Hi Patti,
    I asked the Dr. last week about the brain bleeding and he said if she was bleeding in the brain she would not be able to sit up and tylenol would not help. Mom say her whole head hurts not one specific area. We were told it was the lack of blood circulation. I was looking for something natural I will check out the web site. Thanks Lucy

Jimbob

Lucy,
    Just after I was diagnosed, about 3 years ago, I started having headaches. The doctors said that I was deficient in in magnesium. My naturapathic doctor gave me packets of magnelevures. It might be available over-the-counter. In addition to magnesium, it also has vitamins B-1 and B-6. It did help considerably when iburprofen alone did not. The doctors told me not to take asprin because of blood thinning and not to take tylenol because of possible liver damage.

patti

Lucy,

I just got home from being out all day with mom. Give me a few hours and I’ll go through my naturapathy stuff and get back to you about overall headaches. Jim is on the right track. It’s usually a good idea to take calcium with magnesium though so try and find a combo supplement. I’ll try and send you some website info on different ones. I’ll get back to you in a few hours.

patti

patti

Hi Lucy,

I’m finally getting back to you. Sorry it took so long. Kids….. smile

Here’s the list in order of importance:

Bromelain: 500mg 2x’s daily

MSM: 3000mg. daily – 1 cap 3x’s daily

Calcium/Magnesium combo: 1500mg daily (this takes some time to build up in the body but once it does it works great!) make sure it’s calcium citrate and NOT carbonate. Also it will come in 1500 mg. of calcium and HALF of that in magnesium.

Glucosamine sulfate: as directed on label

L-tyrosine: as directed on label

l-glutamine and quercetin: 500mg daily

Primrose Oil: 500mg. 3-4 times daily

Vitamin B Complex: standard b complex should be fine.

Your mom wouldn’t have to take all of these things. This is just the order they recommend them in. I would suggest that you do the Bromelain, MSM, Calcium/Mag. and B Complex daily. It takes some time for natural remedies to work and that’s usually why most people give up on them because they want a fix NOW. What I would suggest is that your mom start taking these things but still take her percocet as she needs to. Within about a week she should start to notice a difference. Or, maybe it could take longer. Everyone is different and her overall health is a factor too. The sicker, the longer it will take to work. It just takes time. Once she starts to feel better she can back off of the percocet. Also, you can add the APS II I mentioned above if you’d want. Won’t hurt her and that she would just take if she had a headache. The others she would need to take daily no matter how good she feels. It has to build in the body. Also, the B vitamins will turn her urine really yellow. That’s okay. The body doesn’t store B vitamins well. It uses what it needs and gets rid of the rest.

With the exception of the APSII you should be able to get good supplements at Vitamin World (they’re on the web and they also have physical stores in some towns).

I hope some of this is a help to your mom. Keep me posted.

Patti

lucym

Patti
    I can not thank you enough I will talk to my Mom today. All the best to you
    Lucy

campbell

I am new to this board. My husband has MDS no Chromosone defect…… he has such severe headaches and he taking paid med together with extra tyneol. He is on a blood thinner. His labs are wbc 3.1, rbc 2.98, hgb 10.1 and hct 29.7,plt 162. These nembers are a week after blood transfusion… they have been lower in the past………. he hurts all over and has sores in head, and vision is not as good as before. He was diagnosed a yr ago but we are sure this has been going on long before this…. just talking.. and so worried. He tried Revlimid and stopped. He is tired and does not want to fight this disease.

Jerry

Lucy …

Something that usually works for me is to take two Tylenol (I have been told to use it) and go into a darkened room with two ice bags … one under the back of my neck and the other over my forehead and eyes … then, try to go to sleep or take deep breaths and relax as much as possible …

Also, there are docs out there who specialize in headaches and there are new medicines which give relief from most types of headaches … I would certainly get a referral to one and find out exactly what you are dealing with … good luck

Jerry

KWJ

I get really bad headaches. What helps me most is those herbal wraps that you can put in the micorwave and heat up and then put around my neck. They work better than vicoden or any migrane meds for me. I sometimes get headaches daily. I have Rhuemotoid Arthritis and Sjogrens Syndrome and the heat wraps helps with that too. I have them in my car, at work and at home! They smell good and feel like heaven!

TEMBO

KWJ – The herbal wraps sound like a really good idea. I am not sure I have seen them. Can you pick up at the health shops? Do you think one is better than the next?

Many Thanks,
    Karen

KWJ

They have them at many stores. Mainstream stores have them. I have seem them at Target or Fred Meyers which is a grocery and variety store. They are not exclusive to health food stores. I bought one at marshalls or TJ maxx too. Check ebay too – I will go check it out for you…

KWJ
    KWJ

YOu can also make your own. If you sew, you can sew a rectangle, fill it with popcorn and herbal stuff id you like, I like lavendar and then stitch it up. I have a few squares I ues for my knees and hands, but I like my warp around neck on with handles.

lbeachbum2

Hi
    I was getting severe headaches’s too, this week my oncologist brought my RBC’s to 10 ( he usually settles for high 8’s ) and I feel better then I have in Months .. he will be keeping me higher from now on …..ask your doctor ……… Mike

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert