MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Shingles vaccine

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Shingles vaccine

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    cerbysam
    Participant

I have neutropenia and a low white blood count. I have seen some warnings not to get the vaccine if you have an immune system problem. My Doctor says it is OK but I am worried about it. Does anyone else have info on this. Mafajous

Michael
    Participant

Martha

I am in your neutropenia low white count boat. I had the shingles live virus vaccine prior to being diagnosed. Since then I believe there is a new shingles vaccine that is not a live virus and would be safe for folks in our category. I believe the newest vaccine requires two injections 6 months apart. Your MD should be up on this.

Best wishes

cerbysam
    Participant

Thank you for the information.

Maureen Ratliff
    Participant

I also have neutropenia and low white blood cells and my local hematologist/oncologist advised me not to have the Shingles vaccine due to my condition.

mdsfound

Only attenuated Shingles vaccines are recommended for patients who are immunocompromised – ask you provider before you get a Shingles vaccine. I hope this helps.

cerbysam
    Participant

Thank you so much for your response. I have had the original vaccine so I hope it works.

Judith Barnes
    Participant

I had the first of two of the new shingles vaccine before my MDS diagnosis and it’s now time for the second. I plan to ask my oncologist if it’s okay to have the second shot when I see her Tuesday.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert