MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

shortness of breath

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board shortness of breath

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Arnold Garza
    Participant

I was diagnosed 8 years ago with MDS and have slowly develped shortness of breath with slight exertion. In May 2021, I had quadruple coronary artery bypass and thought this would help my breathing. It did help. In August, I was put on Procrit 60,000 units per week and my hgb count went from 7.5 to 9.4. I feel like a have a new heart. This weekend, I’ve started having the shortness of breath again. Very irritating and my cardiologist and oncologist don’t know what is causing it. My mother passed away a few weeks ago and I was there when she died and arranged the funeral. I’m not particularly really upset about this as she was 91 years old and had a full life so I don’t think It could be anxiety.Doesn’t really help to go to the ER since they can’t figure out why I’m having SOB and it’s just a waste of money. I’ve been told I am being referred for a Stem Cell Transplant evaluation but haven’t been told if this process has started.

Kathleen Till
    Participant

I just had Bone Marrow Transplant at
    Moffitt Cancer Centre in Tampa. It is a long haul to get better but taking one day at a time. Certainly lots of hurdles to get over, but this is possibly the only cure for MDS.

Transplant was in September 8th so very early days yet.

I am 73.

Kathy

Kathleen Till
    Participant

I just had Bone Marrow Transplant at
    Moffitt Cancer Centre in Tampa. It is a long haul to get better but taking one day at a time. Certainly lots of hurdles to get over, but this is possibly the only cure for MDS.

Transplant was in September 8th so very early days yet.

I am 73.

Kathy

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by Kathleen Till.
    Dr. Lin
    Participant

BMT is not for everyone especially with older people. Here is something I wrote a while back:
    https://www.cancer.net/blog/2018-08/bone-marrow-transplants-and-older-adults-3-important-questions

Karen LaSota
    Participant

Arnold
    SOB is a classic symptom for some people. Daily especially when hgb goes below a certain level. But it’s almost always apparent. Hope your issue is something that can be identified and improved.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert