MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Sibling Match for MDS

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Sibling Match for MDS

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Lori A White
    Participant

Good evening all,
    I have posted earlier a few weeks ago and thanks to all who have responded. I am eager to learn as much as a can about bone marrow transplant since, mostly likely, after the first of the year I will undergo this procedure. I have been reading the message board a lot and have not found anyone to have posted about a sibling match donor, all non-related donors. I know I am lucky when I say that my brother is a full match and he will be my donor. I was wondering if anyone has anything to share about having a sibling match. I would love to hear some results. I have a lot of possitives in my favor and mostly I am a strong person. But I do want to have a much information as possible. God Bless!

Beth Pilot
    Participant

I spoke to a couple of survivors of BMT who contacted me after I requested it through the LLS.org. One of them shared an extended story about a brother who received his sister’s stem cells and ended up with her different blood type afterward. I thought it was an amusing side-story. My point is, through LLS.org and through BeTheMatch.org there is a wealth of information just waiting for you to ask for it or search it out on line. I believe that we each owe it to ourselves to look for as much information as we can find. Good luck!

Patricia Egerton
    Participant

Hi Lori,
    I wanted to share my husbands story with you. His sister was diagnosed with MDS which progressed to Leukemia. My husband was tested and would be his donor. His sister did not respond to the first round so they tried again. This was in 2011. She unfortunately passed away. In April of this year my husband was diagnosed with MDS. After doing some testing on his genes they found that he was missing the TP53 gene. His doctor said that this should have been found when he was reviewed for being a donor for his sister and that he should not have been her donor. I feel that maybe some where something was missed. I’ve seen mention more than once that MDS could be hereditary. I would encourage you to make sure they do all the tests needed for matching. Hope all goes well for you.

rar
    Participant

I have 3 sisters who are all 10/10 matches. I did a SCT a year and a half ago. I went through a tough case of GVHD which is doing much better. A sibling transplant is better than MUD. A female donor who bore children is worse than a male donor. All 3 of my brothers matched each other but not me. I was 73 when I had the transplant.

Ray

Kari Jones
    Participant

I am a sibling donor. I donated to my sister just over 2 years ago. I will be more than happy to answer any questions you or your donor may have.

rar
    Participant

It is true that the recipient gets the donor blood type. This is not amusing when it leads to difficulties. I heard of someone who had type A blood before transplant and O after. He received a transfusion of type A as per his records pre-transplant. He died.

I received my transplant from my sister so now my blood has changed from xy to XX chromosome. If I commit a crime and they do blood typing they would be looking for a female and I would be free.

Ray

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert