MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

signs of transition to AML?

HomeForumsPatient Message Boardsigns of transition to AML?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  mdsfound 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Marilyn Satterfield
    Participant

I have had three rounds Vidaza with no improvement in any of my three blood counts. I am feeling very weak, dizzy, short of breath, and just generally ill. I had CBC done yesterday and my hemoglobin was holding at 8.4 after last transfusion. White count is 1.4 platelets have plunged to 24 in a couple of weeks. I am wondering if I have transitioned to AML. Usually I feel like this when hemoglobin gets really low. Could low platelets make me feel lousy, too?

Airin Kenari
    Participant

Hai Marilyn
    My father was diagnose with MDS last year, so maybe i can share some information for you. I dont think that condition mean that MDS become AML, u have to do bone marrow to make sure. But that wouldnt nessesary cause MDS itself will show that kind of symptoms. Low platelets will not make u feel lousy, it can cause purpura/blood rash in your skins & internal bleeding. The lousy feeling is cause by low hemoglobin which cause blood can not carry oxygen to flow into the body’s nerves.
    Be patiance Marilyn, I pray you can get well soon

mdsfound

Dear Marilyn, A sign of transgressing from MDS to AML would be the rise in your blast count (immature white blood cells). An increase to 20% would mean AML while 19% is still MDS.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert