MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Slightly off-topic (blood donation fears)

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Slightly off-topic (blood donation fears)

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    LRG

Hi Carrie,
    Maybe try to get a friend to go with you. I hate needles to and get woozy when i just have to get a couple of tubes taken. i find that if i tell them how bad i am and i always ask them to talk to me so that i don’t focus on it directly!! So, maybe if you had a friend that you could talk to during the whole time it would take your mind off of it. Best of luck to you!!!

Lori

Carrie

Wow, I didn’t expect so many responses! Thank you all! I’m going into this with all of your suggestions in mind and I’ll post an update smile .

I just ate some Special K and took my iron supplement. I had steak and a bunch of broccoli last night. I should have really good blood! smile

All of you will be there in my head, holding my hand smile .

Carrie

P.S. Neil, I hope your mom is doing better!

Carrie

Naomi,

It IS a shame about your blood being thrown away! I hope you level out really soon,
    Carrie

Donna

Hi Carrie, Lots of great advice from everyone. I’m not able to donate blood because of my 1st husbands illness. However my 19 year old daughter is a regular donar, she’s attending a seminar this weekend at the red cross, hoping to reach out to the community to get more people to donate. My mom had such a rare blood type her blood was flown in from all over Canada, her type was never available locally. Many lives depend on it — that is something many of us can do too help. Anyway — like you, my daughter passed out the first time. Like I think Pam mentioned? — close your eyes, don’t look at the needle, think good thoughts and remember to focus on your breathing.
    You’ll be fine.

Donna

Donna

Hi Carrie, Lots of great advice from everyone. I’m not able to donate blood because of my 1st husbands illness. However my 19 year old daughter is a regular donar, she’s attending a seminar this weekend at the red cross, hoping to reach out to the community to get more people to donate. My mom had such a rare blood type her blood was flown in from all over Canada, her type was never available locally. Many lives depend on it — that is something many of us can do too help. Anyway — like you, my daughter passed out the first time. Like I think Pam mentioned? — close your eyes, don’t look at the needle, think good thoughts and remember to focus on your breathing.
    I’m sure you’ll be fine smile

Donna

Carrie

I’m done! smile It went much faster than I thought it would and I only got a little dizzy at the end smile .

Thanks again for all of your support. You’re cool cool .

Carrie

Naomi

Congrats laugh laugh WE knew you could do it.
    Naomi

Carrie

Woohoo! And I HAD to eat sugar afterwards (despite my diet wink ).

Ispent a lot of time counting until I had to squeeze the ball again (every 5 to 10 seconds). That actually helps a lot… counting smile .

Thanks again and have a healthy weekend, everyone!
    Love,
    carrie

Terri

Way to Go Carrie, Hopefully it will get easier the next time.
    We were all there with ya

Suzanne

We know you could do it! suzanne

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert