MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

spleen enlargement

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board spleen enlargement

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    JOCELYN

Can anyone tell me what happens if the spleen keeps enlarging?

Or how to prevent it?

Christina

Hi Jocelyn…have you conferred with your doctor on this? There could be many reasons this is happening, for instance many medications can cause this reaction. You really need to speak to your dr…do you have one from a center of excellence?

JOCELYN

My spleen is only slightly larger now and I was not on medication prior to diagnosis but I am concerned about the future.

I finally have an appt at center of excellence at end of month.

Christina

Let us know how your appointment goes…we’re praying for you!
    Christina

Debe

Jocelyn, my mom’s spleen is very enlarged. It even hurts mom sometimes. She has a full feeling on that left side. I wonder too if it could get so enlarged that it would rupture, is that possible? I guess it is because her platelets are not working right. My daughter was in a severe car accident and lost her spleen, her platelet count is very high, but nothing to worry about. I wish she could give some of those extra to my mom! They used to remove the spleen to increase platelets, but it is only a temporary thing, I think. Anyway, mom’s counts are so low, they wouldn’t touch her.

My husband’s spleen enlargement caused him great discomfort with a feeling of gas and made him unable to eat much. They did reduce the size somewhat with radiation which helped for awhile. It seems that the spleen acted like a sponge,absorbing the blood transfusions. Are you getting transfusions? Marie

JOCELYN

sorry to hear about your mom. if I learn anything, I’ll post it. Does she have any suspicions on how she got mds?

JOCELYN

Fortunately, my spleen is only slightly enlarged at this point. No I am not receiving transfusions.

JOCELYN

Thank you Christine. How are you doing?

Christina

Hi Jocelyn – we are hanging in there. My dad has been in the hospital since New Years. We feel so helpless and just want to help. I am going to speak with the Doctors myself on Monday…hopefully they call me back! We all have to stay positve and strong. I do believe that attitude has a lot to do with everything!
    Thanks for asking!
    Christina

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert