MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Spots/Petechiae

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Spots/Petechiae

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Kathryn

Hey all,

My father’s platelet count is still at 12,000, so the doc. decided to wait & see. He does have spots/petechiae on him and apparently they have been increasing. I realize that they are due to the low count, but what exactly is the cause of this? They are keeping a good eye on some that are raised. Why? What are the risks? Is this probably the reason he is still feeling so bad? His color is better and he is more “social”, but he still feels really bad. His next dr. app. is on Monday.

Thanks for any info..

Kathryn

Suzanne

Kathryn, My understanding is that the petechia are tiny veins that are broken and cause pin points of bleeding under the skin. They did not transfuse platelets for me until the count was 10 or under. Your body will accept a limited # of platelet tranfusions before rejecting them so they hold off as long as they can & save it for emergencies. I don’t think low platelets generally cause one to feel badly. Usually low red count causes the tiredness and the meds may be effecting him. But different people react differently to the disease, low counts and the meds. Glad they are watching him closely.

Terri

Kathryn, Bob gets the Petechia and his plts are around the 50,000 to 60,000 everyone reacts differently. His isn’t too bad right now he gets it mostly ont he hands and lower legs. But he does bruise very easily as a result of the low plts. Even when they take his blood pressure the cup bruises him.
    Hope your Dad is doing better.
    Today We see the Doctor and Will find out how Bob is doing.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert