MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Stopping Vidaza

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Stopping Vidaza

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Aureta
    Participant

My MDS involves hemoglobin only. Have been on Vidaza for 6 months n this past month hemoglobin went from 7.6 to 9.7 in three weeks. My doctor wants me to stop taking Vidaza n just have labs done every couple of weeks to monitor me. I am a little concerned about going off drug since I have not read where u could go off treatment n if labs go down go back on. Has anyone else went off Vidaza because they were doing better?

Kathie Wolf
    Participant

Aureta, how did this work out for you? My hubby has been on Vidaza for 12 months, labs are all normal,and he is in remission. His oncologist is offering him a vacation and just follow with labs. She has told him he can do,either, no wrong answer…

Amy S.
    Participant

I was on Vidaza since last December. For the last 2 cycles ( June, July), all my lab numbers have
    been normal. I asked the doctor if I could discontinue treatment or on a less frequent schedule ( perhaps 5-6 weeks instead of 4 weeks). He said it would run the risk of a relapse and continual treatment would lengthen the remission. I do not know what to do? Should I ask a second opinion ? Has anyone discontinue treatment after remission and is OK?

Dr. Lin
    Participant

Would definitely encourage a second opinion. Most people in remission after Vidaza would be considered for transplant which is the only curative modality unless not a transplant candidate.

Amy S.
    Participant

Thanks for the advice. I was not considered a transplant candidate because there is no match in the repository. My sister is only 50% match and lives in another state. The doctor said that I have no social support.(?)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert