MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Stuff From Our Naturopath

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Stuff From Our Naturopath

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

I promised to share the treatment plan our naturopath put together for Luke, so here it is. I’m just selecting the CMML part, but there’s an equal amount for the heart. The house looks like a pill factory! Hope this is helpful!
    M

>>Whey Powder, 30 – 40 grams p/d
    Builds muscle, reduces weight loss, antioxidant

>>Organic Fruits and Veggies, Juiced

Has provided various juice recipies, but one he is to take 2x daily includes: parsely, cilantro, turnip, celery, beeets, carrots, garlic, onion, ginger and pineapple

Also use Pomegranate juice, pureed avocado

>>Teas

Cat’s Claw,
    Essiac tea, 4 oz with equal amount of water, on empty stomach 3 x a day
    Green tea

>> Supplements

Cod liver oil, 2-3 tbsp daily – to build lost muscle, increase deficient immune T cells

Melatonin, 10 mg daily – anti -tumour, decreases weight loss, helps with night sweats, prolongs
    life in cancer (proven by research)

High potency buffered vitamin C powder, 1/3 tsp 3x daily – antioxidant, killer cell activity, muscle building

Alpha-lipoic acid, 350 mg – increases helper T cells, increases effectiveness of other anti-oxidants

Liguid multi-vitamin and mineral supplement, 1 tsp daily with meals, anti-oxidants, boosts immune system

>> Other Stuff

Meditation and visualization of healthy blood, reduction of blasts, picture good blood test results, etc. Proven by research to increase quality and length of life

Read spiritually uplifting stuff, eg., Conversations With God, listen to relaxing music.

Rest, but NOT in front of TV. Only uplifting TV allowed. Watch movie “What the Bleep Do We Know”

Fresh air, at least 10 minutes daily; preferably go for walks if up to it

Do something enjoyable and inspiring every day

Drink 1/2 lemon in distilled water in the morning

Take hots and cold cycled showers to stimulate circulation

Castor oil massage over abdomin before bed, detoxifies liver and increases circulation

Caroline

Thanks Margaret.

Caroline

sugarwhale

Dear Margaret,
    This is great information. Thank you so much for sharing! Try the Muskoka for inspiration. We love Canada, too!
    ~~~ Janet

Caroline

Janet,

I used to live in the Muskokas when I was little.

Caroline

Terri

Hi, My Husband was having hard time sleeping the Pain management dr said to try Melatonin, It was either on the label or on the Internet that I read that it is not good for Leukemia. I think it was the Low platlets. Anyhow Bob did not take it even though I bought it, I will have to check the label again. When we mentioned it to the doctor he was unaware of it but we weren’t taking any chances

Ensnee

Margaret, I don’t know how Luke can keep some of that stuff down, especially feeling the way he does! I know some of it would make me SICK! Is he really able to tolerate all of that stuff?

I would be really careful of the Melatonin. After all, it is a hormone, and hormones are known to increase growth of cancer, though I’m not sure of the one-to-one relationships. Have they given you the actual studies which prove how each of these things work? I hate to be a wet blanket, but please don’t go overboard. I’m thinking of you guys all the time.

hugs,
    Esme

patti

Terri,

Your husband can take something called Valerian Root. The brand I buy is Nature’s Made (I get it at Fred Meyer (ie. Kroger) but any GNC or vitamin place would sell it. If he takes two capsules it will help him fall asleep. It’s not meant so much to keep someone asleep as it is to help them fall asleep but maybe once he’s asleep than he’ll be okay. The other thing, give him a glass of warm milk and have him crawl into bed. Warm milk produces a natural form of an enzyme that is on the tip of my tongue right now and I can’t get it out! How’s that for help? Anyway, the warm milk caused the body to produce the enzyme that our bodies already make to help us sleep. Give him either one or both of these things a shot and I think he’ll sleep better. smile

Best Wishes,

patti

Hi Esme
    Each thing the naturopath prescribed was supported by some kind of research finding. She provided us with a full work up on the function of each.

I know what you mean about the melatonin, but there is a reason for it. Luke is very much in the grips of cachexia, or the wasting away of muscle tissue. He looks God awful. It is progressive, and once it starts it keeps itself going, apparently. Cachexia is associated with earlier death in cancer patients. The melatonin is to try and halt the progression.

What I’m learning about all of this is that there is nothing simple about it. Each person needs to have a protocol designed especially for their circumstances. What would be contraindicated for one is critical for another.

I’ve been reading the journal literature on cachexia, and frankly it is scaring the heebee jeebies out of me. Its awful watching someone waste away, but in this case it is even worse knowing why. I’m having one of those “overwhelmed” moments where you realize that your husband is extremely sick, and you can’t possibly learn enough to fight the battle on your own knowledge. I have to trust that these people know what they are doing.

I think about you guys all the time too. How is Hans holding up? Its a terrible disease, isn’t it? Some days I think my whole being is wasting away, just like Luke’s muscle tissue. I really do need a vacation!
    M

Here is a study result that deals with risks of melatonin in tumour excerbation. I feel better now.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FDN/is_6_6/ai_81761485
    M

Ensnee

Hi Margaret,

I just read your blog, and I know so well the feelings you are describing. I desperately wanted to get away to Ottawa before Hans started his next round of treatment, but we weren’t able to. I had a bit of a physical meltdown last week, also. You know how it is with us folks with CFS — we have to be careful of expending too much energy at once. Sometimes the physcial pain and fatigue, and just plaing feeling SICK takes over, and we have to rest for a few days.
    So PLEASE don’t be so hard on yourself! You are not failing! You are doing everything you possible can to help Luke! But you won’t be able to help if you wreck yourself. Partners with normal health become exhausted when caring for those with serious illnesses — sometimes they are in worse shape themselves because of all the stress. A good thing to remember, told me by my brother and his wife — when he had colon cancer, her doctor told them each to give themselves a treat every day. Could be buying a magazine, eating something “sinful” like an ice cream cone or chocolate, watching a frivolous TV show — whatever they each wanted. Of course, my brother had in mind things like buying an IPOD and camera equipment!

As far as looking up stuff and reading it — Hans did that once when he was first diagnosed, and it scared him so much he refused to do it anymore. I have pretty much stopped doing it, too. Not entirely, but all these things are based on statistics, while we are all individuals.

It breaks my heart to read your desperation and worry.

Hans is in a failry good place, mentally. But then, he is going into the hospital feeling pretty well, which gives him a good starting point.

He want the computer, so I must get off! Many healing hugs to you both,

Esme

Hi
    I do sound horrible, don’t I? I’m not as desperate today as I am miffed. Anger is an important start to hauling myself out of my pit.

I am realizing something. I am working my buns off (figuratively, not literally, alas) to promote Luke’s well being. He is a passive recipient to all of it. He actually does not do anything to heal himself.

Today I decided to just let him be and see what happened. He lay on the couch. All day. I provided inspirational literature and a visualization tape. Wasn’t used. He talked about going outside, I suggested a shower would be a good start. The shower never happened. *sigh*

Normally I would drag him off the couch and get him moving. It is time for me to stop doing so much for him, and wait to see if he does things for himself. I am not sure how long I can keep this up without guilt and caving in, but something different needs to happen.

My sister, bless her heart, will be here any second to take me out to dinner. I plan to take my time about it and enjoy to the fullest.

You’re right, when the CFS attacks we are completely down and out. I’m racked with pain right now, and completely exhausted. So much of the battle is mental, isn’t it? I hope yours gets better really soon. I’m thinking mine needs positive contact, and some good vitamins. I’m working on both!

Talk to you soon,
    Margaret

eve

hi margaret

i read you last post and couldn’t help but chuckle – sometimes as caregivers we have to step back and let the patient (if they are capable) step up to the plate and motivate themselves

i hope you had a very quiet, relaxing enjoyable dinner – heaven knows you deserve it

eve

Ensnee

Margaret, I agree with Eve! I’m also glad that you got out for dinner. How nice to have a sister who cares. Mine is a giant be-yatch. The only thing I’ve heard from her (secondhand, no less) since Hans got really sick in March is that I’m making a big deal out of nothing, and “showing off” by keeping the CaringBridge journal…It’s so absurd, I just have to shake my head. Needless to say, I really don’t consider that I even have a sister any more!

Hope you are feeling better tomorrow.

hugs,
    Esme

Hi Esme
    Yes, you really gotta watch that showing off your husband’s terminal disease. Some people will do just about anything to attract attention to themselves, hmmm? Goodness knows, a daily journal about living with CMML as a caregiver is just WAY over the top. You should suffer quietly and inconspicuously, making sure you never steal thunder from the family princess.

SHEESH!

Tell ya what, we’ll adopt each other as sistahs. The one you have ain’t fit for the title.

My sis went a step further, she brought my parents and my niece. It was NOT a quiet dinner. It was loud and uproarious, many laughs. I set a rule – no talking about illness. The only reference made to it was while driving past the hospital; I made an anti-hex sign and hissed at it on the way by.

Dinner out with family was exactly what I needed. Now I need to find a similar thing to do tomorrow, cause that was exactly what I was missing. Some good old fashioned FUN!

Luke is already panicking about his solo clinic visit tomorrow – “what level should my hemoglobin be at before transfusion”? Oh dear. I think this may be very good for him.
    M

P.S. Do you have a link to your journal? I’d love to have a peek if that is OK with you.
    M

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert