MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Symptoms of Relapse?

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Symptoms of Relapse?

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Alicia Johnston
    Participant

Just a little more than one year ago (Sept.27 would be the 1 year anniversary), I had my SCT for treatment-related MDS. The donor was my halpoidentically (10/10) matched sister. I currently have very well-controlled, mild GVHD of the liver, skin, and gastrointestinal tract. 10 years ago, in 2009, I had a transplant for relapsed lymphoma, and the treatments leading up to that caused the MDS for which I was/am currently being treated for.

Until the last month or so, all had been going relatively well and I had been feeling better than ever. Then, I started to have some very bad bruising, shortness of breath, etc. I raised this with my care team, however, all CBCs and other tests were completely normal and I have been on steroids for GVHD which they felt was the cause of the bruising (thinning the skin). Of course, at the end of last week I got a call that my platelets had dropped near dangerously low, along with my hemoglobin and wbc and could I please go repeat my CBC to confirm. I did, and they had all dropped even lower. I will be having a bone marrow biopsy next week to investigate but my mind immediately goes to ‘relapse’.

Have you relapsed and what were the signs and symptoms?

Amy Clark
    Participant

Alicia,
    I am so sorry to hear that your levels have turned low again. I have been praying for you. I called my friend whose husband relapsed after his HSCT and she said his symptoms were extreme pain in the hips and shortness of breath. His MDS returned as AML, 56 days after the HSCT.
    I will pray that there are some answers and options when you get the results of the BM.
    Amy

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by Amy Clark.
    Alicia Johnston
    Participant

Amy,
    Thanks for responding and for asking your friend for me. My MDS has relapsed as AML…I found out just a couple of days ago but before that I needed 2 transfusions (blood and platelets), so any questions I had, besides the official diagnosis, were pretty much answered by that.

Seems that for me, given my previous medical history, and the fact that my initial MDS was therapy related, there aren’t very many options. One positive though is that the relapse happened more than 6 months post-transplant which tends to be a good indicator for a better prognosis (even if the prognosis is still not great). Just numbers anyway, right? 🙂

At this point, I’m not sure what I am going to do, but it will probably be to start on Azacitidine to see what kind of response I can get and to make my health an even bigger priority than it already is.

Thanks again,
    Alicia

Amy Clark
    Participant

Alicia,
    Oh boy. I am so sorry to hear that. My heart is sad for you. I am going to up my prayers for you and your family. I am glad you have a care team it sounds like you trust. Now consider me part of your prayer team. Please feel free to message me with a specific prayer request/s. 832-540-4214 May God hold you in His hands as you look for the next steps to take. Amy

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert