MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

The Benefits of Exercise – Especially Weights

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board The Benefits of Exercise – Especially Weights

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Kenan White
    Participant

I am sharing this only because it has made my life so much better – I vowed that I would figure out things I could do to improve my condition, even though my doc said ‘This is a production problem, not much you can do’. Yes, and no. This is not a cure-all and won’t work for everyone but I can tell you that since I’ve been lifting weights (nothing larger than a 12 lb and no more than 30 minutes), my RBC has improved a lot. Still on Procrit and Zarzio weekly, but I was at 6.9 in June and today, 8.4 with the only difference in lifestyle being the weights. My doc said that lifting increases the testosterone in your body, which then increases RBC.
    Search Results

Testosterone has a well-documented erythrogenic effect that increases red blood cell production.

It was hard at first, considering my fatigue but honestly don’t miss a day because I feel so much better. I know that this isn’t going to work for everyone, but I want to share because with this disease, EVERY LITTLE BIT HELPS!

Marie Miguel
    Participant

Exercising makes you feel lighter and also makes you feel at peace.

dramaticcillow
    Participant

exercising helps with weight management and bone and muscle health. It also helps reduce your risk of heart diseases

Roderick McCune
    Participant

I agree with exercise. I run to keep active. My hub is 11.9 currently. I am hoping my next blood draw is better. Exercise is good no matter what

Raymond Bourgeois
    Participant

Kenan,I am 66 and was diagnosed with MDS at 65. Iwent for a while not having the energy or desire to do anything. I finally decided I was spending money on a health club so I was going to use it. I go 3-5 X a week, walk, ride bike and do some weights. I really feel that it is a big help both physically and mentally. I can’t lift the weights I use to, but I still feel its something I need to do.
    Raymond Bourgeois

Clint Holland
    Participant

Do you life weights at home, or go to a Gym?

Raymond Bourgeois
    Participant

Gerry, I go to Anytime Fitness. There are several locations near me. I dont have the discipline to do it at home by myself. I would always find something else to do.
    Raymond

Kenan White
    Participant

I have weights and a bench at home – I’ve also joined an online fitness program for both nutrition and exercise – just gives me a little control and that feels good as I need to feel in control of something

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert