MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Tp-53

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Pat McChesney
    Participant

Hello, I am a 76 year old female diagnosed with MDS almost 1 1/2 yr ago. My initial bmb showed me to be low-risk with SFB3B1 and TET2 mutations; Hgb was 9, platelets good, abs neutrophils in low-normal range. I was started on Procrit then switched to Aranesp after 6 mo or so b/c of limited response. I was maintaining with Hgb in 8s or low 9’s but deteriorated in Oct-Nov, when I began needing blood. Mid-Dec my Hgb dropped to 5.7 and I developed pneumonia. From there I needed usually 2units of blood about every 2-3 weeks until Jan 2020. A second bmb on 1/14 showed my genetic mutation had changed from sf3b1 and tet2 to sf3b1 and tp-53, which Is the really bad actor that usually predicts a poor outcome. At the same time, my Hgb was up to 9.0. The docs quite understand what had happened so we decided to continue with Aranesp and labs every 2weeks. I was stable for 13 weeks, Hgb in 8s so no blood needed until last week, when my Hgb went from 8 to 6.9 and I was given 2 units of blood. Next appt 6/16. I’d hoped to start on luspatercept but not sure I now am eligible since I went so long without needing a transfusion. I’m a patient of the Massachusetts General Hospital system and their protocol is not to transfuse unless your Hgb is <7 unless you’re very symptomatic, which I typically seem not to be. Does this scenario seem familiar to anyone and, if so, what would you suggest I do? I want to say how grateful I am for the support I’ve received from others dealing with this difficult disease, whether from other patients, loved ones or professionals. I’m thankful for you!!

Jimmy Greenhut
    Participant

Pat, I had Dr. Alan List from Moffitt. He has since left tho. He told me as long as there is no tumor involvement you can get a transfusion <9 HB. Would get a 2nd opinion. They’re not walking in your shoes with the fatigue & feeling lousy. GL

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert