MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Transplant in 2 weeks

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Transplant in 2 weeks

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Michael
    Participant

Joseph~

You and your Dad are in my thoughts. Prayers for a successful outcome.
    Best wishes.
    Michael

Joseph Agustin
    Participant

Thank you so very much

Pat Lawson
    Participant

Your father is blessed to have a son like you. Know that you are doing everything that you could possibly do. I pray that all goes well and in the end it is God’s will. Let go and let God. I pray for peace for both if you.

Joseph Agustin
    Participant

Your exactly right!

Pat Lawson
    Participant

Joseph thinking about you and your dad and praying all goes well tomorrow.

Joseph Agustin
    Participant

So I started nuepogen on Friday. Dad started hisnchemo regiment. Wed. It was one type wed Thur fri sat. They weren’t so bad, then he did a different type yesterday and that took some energy out of him. Today he had radiation. 2 days ago his red blood cells numbers were at 7.7 and holding and white blood cells were 2.5. Today his red blood cells were 7.3 and white was….0.2.

They drew cells from
    Me today, using the peripheral blood way. They ended up with between 377-400 ml of white blood cells, the doc said my body responded very well to the nuepogen making about 2x what someone would in the same time span. I was expected to donate tomorroww as well but they got their goal plus some today so I’m off the hook.

I did not take any meds (Tylenol or Claritin) while I was on nuepogen. I figured if my dad went months with a partially collapsed lung and fluid on his lung, endured months of injections and transfusions and chemo, if he can handle that I can handle this.
    Day one was fine, no noticeable issues. Day two was fine, the night of day 2 was pretty uncomfortable. The pain was a deep hollow type of pain, blunt not sharp. Felt it mainly in lower back and hips and my upper neck as well as sternum. It felt as if the pain radiated from the inside out. It wasn’t unbareable. I played rugby for 13 years at a pretty competitive level and work out very hard (5’10, 205-210 pounds). It was as if I had a very very hard leg workout. It was more annoying then painful. As I write this there is some lingering pain in my hips but again, feels like a good workout.
    Dads transplant is scheduled for tomorrow. Fingers crossed, prayers made, the field is striped, let’s play ball.

Joseph Agustin
    Participant

Transplant went off without a hitch yesterday. The new coming weeks will tell the tale. He’s been a strong man through all of this, which is a testament to the man he is. Drs are all positive. We’ll see how things go

Pat Lawson
    Participant

So glad to hear that! Praying for strength in the coming days. Keep us posted

Amy Clark
    Participant

Hi Joseph,
    How are you and your dad doing? We have been thinking about your family daily and praying.

Rose eden Guanzon
    Participant

Joseph my husband is undergoing a transplant on March 29. I am still unsure if this is the best way to proceed. He is 67 and has high grade mds RAEBII with aslx1 mutation. Prognosis is not good. He is now very stable with Dacogen. No blood transfusions for the last 9 months. I would be so grateful if you can give us an update on your Dad.

Joseph Agustin
    Participant

So, after the draining of the water on the lung and the week of heavy conditioning the transplant took place. He’s now at the apartment we got him next to the hospital. Someone is with him 24/7. For the first couple weeks after transplant he was getting either blood or platelets daily in clinic as well as minerals like potassium or magnesium. He was able to skip a day at the hospital last week bc his levels were starting to level out. He is on the upward swing of things so far. His bone marrow biopsy read last Thursday showed 100% of his white blood cells were gone and all his wb cells were donor cells from me. His wbc count bounces between 3.6 and 2.8 with a slow tick towards progression. He is super light and very tired, not eating much. We force him to walk daily or do exercises in the apartment. Doc thinks he’s doing very well pops is holding in there.

Rose, if you have any questions let me know. Gimme a call or shoot me a text, 757 818 0712. There is a very nice young lady on this board who essentially helped me help my father through this and I shall pay it forward.

Pat Lawson
    Participant

So glad to hear your dad is doing ok. My husband is 64 and in a trial. We are still on the fence about even talking to the doctors about a transplant. Please keep us updated on his progress. Praying for strength and healing.

Joseph Agustin
    Participant

I started a new thread since I couldn’t find this one. It’s titled 5.5 months post transplant

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert