MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Unanswered questions

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Unanswered questions

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Susan Kosh
    Participant

My dad was diagnosed with mds in December 2016. He passed away January 2017. I contacted the Sylvester cancer center and spoke to the md there who specializes in mds. He reviewed my dad charts and said he was not a candidate for chemo, etc.the form of mds was too severe. He stated that my dad had 2 genetic mutations. My question/concern is should children be screens for these. Are they only available to be seen by bone marrow biopsy. Is there and genetic link with this disease. Of course we are still grieving but am wondering if there is any chance there is a predisposition for children,grandchildren. Any info greatly appreciated.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Dear Susan,

I am saddened by your news and know how much you miss him. My prayers are with you and your family during this most difficult time and remember all the good times and memories you have to cherish. Hopefully another treatment and eventually a cure will result from our efforts here at the foundation.

There are occasional familial cases of MDS, however, these are exceptionally rare. The genetics of MDS are complex, and the influence of inborn and inherited changes is either subtle or non-existent. In cases where there is an established history of MDS in the family, I always let other family members know that they should have annual bloodwork done and to watch their counts as an indicator. If counts are abnormal, I would then make an appointment to see a hematologist.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert