MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Update

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Kathryn

Hey everyone… I thought I would update again on my dad and ask a few questions as well…

He ended up in the hospital on Friday. After running a bunch of tests they found that he has diverticulitis that had become seriously infected… taking presidence over the Leukemia…figure that. Anyway, the doctor ceased his Trisenox until this is cleared up… On healthy people the doctor usually removes the infected part of the colon, but since my father also has pulmonary fibrosis, he is unable to undergo any kind of surgery…. Not too sure what that means for my dad exactly. I suppose he will really have to watch his diet, etc.. He is one tough cookie though and such a wonderful patient. We are going over there today for Father’s Day…we made him a blanket. Hopefully he will be home in a couple of days.

Neil, will you please explain the types of platelets you spoke of? Irradiated & single donor… Thank you so much for mentioning this. Seems like he is becoming dependent and if he is going to be on supportive treatment only, even if only for a while, we need to do what will work the best.

Thanks,

Kathryn

Neil

Hi Kathryn,
    Irradiation helps remove leukocytes, which may cause antibodies and other possible problems associated with “strange” leukocytes.
    Single donor would be a 6 pack or more of platelets that were donated by one donor. Sometimes hard to find. Single donor platelets usually make it easier for the donee to accept them into thier system. Sometimes if more than one donor is involved the donee platelet count is not as high as it would have been with single donor. Single donor seems to extend the time till a patient becomes refractory to platelets.
    Hope they can get the diverticulitis under control with diet. It can be very uncomfortable.
    Neil

LRG

Kathryn,
    My dad was diagnosed a few years ago with diverticulitis. No problems once he started watching what he ate. Then when MDS came on, his diverticulitis flared up and they made him get a colonostomy (spelling?? a bag) He was undergoing a transplant and they told him once everything was done and well he could get it reversed. I’m not sure what happens if he can’t do surgery. I wish you luck.

Lori

Suzanne

Kathryn, I believe Barbra’s husband, Ron, had trouble with diverticulitis too and was not in a position to tolerate surgery. You might ask her about it but I believe they just worked continuously to keep it under control.

sarah

What is diverticulitis? Is there a connection to MDS?

Suzanne

The way I understand it diverticulitis is infection caused my pockets in the bowel that don’t clear of fecal material. Someone else may know more.

Kathryn

Hey you all, thanks for your thoughts and good wishes.

I looked diverticulitis up and here is the definition:

Diverticulitis is inflammation of an abnormal pouch (diverticulum) in the intestinal wall, usually found in the large intestine (colon). The presence of the pouches themselves is called diverticulosis. Diverticulitis occurs when diverticula become infected or inflamed. Doctors are not certain what causes the infection. It may begin when stool or bacteria are caught in the diverticula. Also certain foods that don’t digest easily – seeds, corn, etc. – can get caught up in there.

This is a separate disease from my dad’s CMML, however, I believe his compromised immune system and his weakened lungs make the situation much more complicated. He will definitely need to add more fiber to his diet to help keep it at bay.

He is hanging tough though. Out walking in the hall, at a brisk pace I might add. He is doing everything in his power… I am not sure when he will be coming home though. Hopefully by Wednesday. He had an x-ray yesterday, but I am not sure what they were looking for or the results.

Hope you all have a good day!!

Kathryn

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert