MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Update on my dad (and me) long AGAIN

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Update on my dad (and me) long AGAIN

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    karenkay

First, I want to thank all of you for your kind words, encouragement, and prayer. I gained some real insight reading your posts.
    I went to the hemo. appointment today. I do take my dad to MSTI St. Luke’s and he sees a Dr. Zuckerman there, who is supposed to be the best in MDS in our area.
    My dad’s appt. wasn’t with Zuckerman, it was with a different NP (different than the first one we saw). I have to tell you, I laid it on the line. I said I was “losin it” so to speak and I needed some clear direction and answers. She gave them to me.
    I asked about starting Arnesp back up. She explained that the Arnesp wasn’t helping him go further between transfusions. I asked about Vidaza and she said the reason Vidaza isn’t considered a suitable treatment for my dad is because of his co-morbidities (sp) and his overall weakness, etc.
    She explained prioritizing his treatment and that although his iron overload was getting high, it as not in his best interest to treat it right now because they want him to work on getting stronger, and the sickness that comes with iron overload treatment isn’t appropriate right now. Eventually, he will reach a point where the doc will have to treat, but in the mean time, they are concentrating on strength, and comfort.
    It was laid out before me that my father’s disease is progressing.
    I asked for support group help, which I will seek, but I also thank the Lord for the support I have found here.
    My goal and focus has changed. If he is transfusion dependant (really about every week to 10 days), then I am encouraging my father to change the way he lives his life (and I hope the psy. therapist will help him do that). IE: Take advantage of the uptimes (post transfusion energy) and work on strengthening your body and mental health and enjoying a ride in the mountains with my husband, or going on a short fishing trip.. Accept when your body is weaker and needs rest and relax through it.
    I wanted so bad to believe that he was going to get better, but the truth is, he isn’t. He will have some better times and some worse ones.
    I hope that he can find a place where he can appreciate that taking care of himself to the best of his ability, which includes accepting help from others (like physical therapy, assistance in the shower instead of not taking one) will improve the time he has left on this earth…whatever amount of time that is.
    I read the posts of those of you who supplement, watch your diet, avoid possible infection situations, and I just want to go nuts trying all of that with my dad. But when I look at the reality of the situation, he isn’t interested in that at all. He would do it for me if I sat in front of him 24hrs. a day and coaxed him into it. I can’t live my life that way.
    He sees his psych therapist tomorrow and I am going to tell her that seeing my father every three weeks is not suffient. I have said this before, but she didn’t agree.
    I will tell her that my father needs to get some support every week, his depression is severe, and it affects his ability to strengthen physically. He**, it landed him in the hosp. for three days dehydrated and under nurished.
    As an aside, just to give you an idea of his attitude, I made it very plain to him that he would have to leave the Rehab place this week if he refused therapy the way he did yesterday (this morning, he went…we are calling him in the morning to start him off refocusg on physical therapy, maybe he will fixate on that wink ). I told him when someone comes in to take him to therapy, if he says no, no thank you, or kiss off, those all count as refusals, so he must make every effort to go.
    He then asked “What if I’m sick?”
    I asked, “Are you sick?”
    “No”
    “Would you lie and use that as an excuse?”
    “IF I had to to get out of if and still stay here”
    I made it perfectly clear that not only was that dishonest, it was crying wolf and then none of us would know when he was really sick, which is serious. I also assured him he wouldn’t be fooling anyone, they catch on pretty quick.
    Needless to say, I got a little grumpy.
    But this is what it is.
    God Bless each and every one of us.
    Prayers for all of us,
    Karenk
    ps. Someone inquired whether or not I had siblings to help, the answer is yes, but no. My brother died in a car accident 14 years ago (he was 20) and my sister recently was committed to the state mental institution (she is a paranoid schiz.). She fell apart literally on August 12 of this year the same day my mother had a stroke (she went delusional when her husband told her about my mom). My mom spent six weeks in rehab. and is doing ok(the week after my mom’s stroke, her companion ended up in the same rehab place for 4 weeks. They got out 2 days apart). My sister spent two months committed and is out somewhere in the state of Idaho. She had not made contact with me and I don’t know if she is being med. compliant or not. Before I picked my dad up from Chicago in late Aug., I traveled 100 miles every other day to see my mom in hosp., get her laundry, visit, etc. I continued to do that after I got back with my dad although only every three days. So, my life has been in a state of chaos since then. Unfortunately, I come from a pretty non-functioning family. Although, I have a good relationship with my mom, my relationship with my dad and sister has always been strained. The baby of the family, my brother, was raised by me his last years of high school, and I miss him terribly. He was so fun loving.
    I have spent years and years breaking the cycle of dysfunction that is my family history. Now it is back to visit. I will remain strong to what I have learned through my faith, therapy, and loving husband and children.
    We just happen to be on a bumpy road right now.

As I read your post I am relieved for you. You have clerity. Not, perhaps, a rosy picture where everything turns out fine, but clarity. It has given you a clear path, and the things you are doing now are so muh healthier that spinning yourself into the ground.

Acceptance is critical, and it does help, but if I might be so bold as to share my own expereince, it does tend to wear off. This kind of situation tends to “slide around”, so that it needs constant adjustments on the part of the caregiver to find your bearings and to do “the next right thing”. It can be darned exhausting!

It does sound as if you are well on your way.

I really “get” the family dysfunction thing. Every family has its fair share of it, I am sure. A crisis like the one we are in seems to heighten it all, and whatever issues are left unresolved or we have been trying to work around in our families tend to pop up in spades!

In our own case, I seem to be giving myself a regular talking to about rolling with the punches and working on a certain degree of detachment from the emotional storms that Luke’s illness is setting off. I particularly hate it on the days when the storm is created by ME; that has happened more than once in the last four months,I am ashamed to say.

Terminal illness in our immediate family has got to be the biggest test any of us will ever face. You are facing it with dignity, strength of purpose, and great clarity about what is good for you. I look forward to hearing how you manage the ups and downs ahead; your insights are helping me!
    Margaret

bhanson

Karenkay, my heart goes out to you. it is almost more than one human can bear. It is wonderful that you take care of your father. All you can do is your best. My husband has had schizo-affective disorder with severe depression for 37 years. He now has MDS to go along with it. I recognize all the symptoms that your father has. We have been through them all. It is a chemical imbalance and it is not is fault, but that does not make it easier to deal with. Absolutely get him to his physc. as often as possible. It really sounds to me that he is definitely not on the right meds for him. Sometimes it takes trying quite a few different meds and different combinations. My husband is on Zoloft, Doxepin, and Resperidone. Not real high doses, but each one treats a different aspect of the disease. Without these meds he would never be able to comply with treatment for MDS. Even now, I can’t be too pushy. He feels so bad, he says he would rather be seasick forever than to have depression one day. I had to push his physc. into this routine. I took my kids to help talk about the symptoms that their dad was displaying. Now, he looks back and can’t believe the difference. Your dads depression will make it extremely hard for him to comply with any therapy. It takes over. Everything else is an uphill battle, literally. Hope he can get it fixed. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Hang in there and GO FISHING!! Best Regards Bonnie

sdrake

karenkay,
    I greatly admire your strength and courage. You are a real blessing to your father. Take care of yourself along this journey and know that you and your family are in my prayers.
    sdrake

Caroline

Karenkay,

You are a very strong lady. You spend your life pushing UPHILL, don’t you? And yet you keep on pushing. You are an inspiration.

Blessings,

Caroline

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert