MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Update

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Jimbob

Esme,
    My CMML went to AML with a 385,000 WBC count. After they got it back “under control” they again referred to it as CMML.
    One of the ways they brought down the WBC count was with an aspheresis (spelling?) machine. It is the same machine that they use to harvest stem cellls from a donor’s blood. They also did something else, by accident, that I would not reccommend. When trying to insert an NG tube down my throat, through my nose, it went straight up into my sinuses and severed 3 or 4 arteries! I bleed like crazy for 4-5 days while they tried different ways to stop it. Finally they emulized the arteries from the inside. In the meantime, I was getting 4-5 units of packed red blood cells, 2-3 units of platelettes, ongoing plasma and othe IV liquids to make up for the 5 or so pints of blood I was losing EACH day. It did seem to help get rid of the bad blood and was replace with good blood but it was a VERY rough way to do it.
    Jim

Ensnee

Thanks, Jim, (I think!) Well, I won’t tell Hans about the little nosebleed! But thanks for the other info. It does clear things up a bit. Sorry you had to go through all that nastiness…

Esme

alice
    Participant

With chemo pacients goes to remission(one year,two,or many years-after pacient’s age,type of AML)But doctors use the proper chemo to get to remission,so i am sure that everything will be fine and i will wait your good news,hopefully.

Suzanne

My understanding after asking my Dr about my type of Aml is that Aml progressing from MDS is an individual type.(I think CMML is considered a classification of MDS) None of the other type clssifications of AML apply to us. Esnee, I had a different type of MDS that transformed into AML and had two rounds of chemo- Induction and consolidation and then a year of an experimental drug. They talked as if the MDS and the AML were like two different diseases and I am in remission for both. my understanding is that either or both could be dormant in my body and could come back.But they just say I am in remission and that there are no signs in my bone marrow tests of Leukemia cells or MDS cells. I hope Hans has the same luck.

Ensnee

Thanks, Suzanne & Alice, for the info and the support. I will add more after tomorrow’s day at PMH!

hugs,
    Esme

mommachkate

Esme,
    I hope I will be able to be a little help to you. George was having cemo in the Moffitt cancer center. The doctor explained to me , that the best thing could happen is, that his AML turns back to CMML It didn,t happen to him unfortunatelly. He also said , this is because of the condition he was in, and his age also a factor. He is 71 years old. Of cause other patients can go to full remession. Right now all he can get is supportive treatment. I am trying to explor every possible treatment out there, what he could get. Please be positive, you have to think only, that the treatment will work.Best wishes Kate.

shirlsgirl

Esme,

Thinking of you and Hans. How is he?

Jody

Ensnee

Hi Jody, I was just thinking today I should post an update. I’ve been so pre-occupied! Hans went into PMH last Sunday, and started chemo yesterday (Wednesday.) So far, so good. He had 3 bags of blood between Monday morning and Tuesday eve.
    I go in every day between 4 & 6 and stay until
    9. Sunday I sat with him all day. His emotions are all over the place. I have started a journal page at http://www.caringbridge.org/me/esme to keep everyone updated. There is also a guest book which you can sign. I print the messages and take them to Hans. The support has been overwhelming! How’s your mom doing?

hugs,
    Esme

mommachkate

Hi Esme,
    I hope Hans is doing good and the treatment will work. Thinking of you two. Best wishes. Kate

sarah

Hi Esme, I too hope Hans is doing well and treatment is successful. Will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers. Enjoyed the journal you are keeping. Hang in there Hans!
    Hugs,
    Sarah

Kathryn

Hi Esme, thank you for the update. I went to your page and your pictures are lovely.

I hope the treatment continues to go well. Better days are ahead and as I tell my father…Behind the darkest of clouds, the sun is always shining.

Take good care,

Kathryn

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert