MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

urine in blood

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board urine in blood

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    shelagh

Would appreciate some advice if possible. My brother in law was diagnosed with MDS last april. Three weeks ago he came quite poorly with acute diarrhea, sickness and heavy bleeding when passing urine. We has been receiving treatment and whilst the sickness diarrhea has completely gone, they do not seem to be able to arrest the blood that is being passed with the urine.

Could anyone advise if they have had this problem, and if so, what was causing it.

Kathy G

My Dad has the same thing – this is what sent us to the hospital at Thanksgiving. They did a CT scan and there is a mass in the kidneys. There may be other causes as they were looking for them with my Dad.

CarolineG

My Dad started passing blood in his urine a week after he found out that his MDS had transitioned into CMML. At first they diagnosed large Kidney Stones. He had stents put in. They infected 2 months later. He has had them removed. To make a very long story short…he has Chronic Renal Failure and has had it for up to 20 years and did not even know it.

There is a spot in the Kidneys called the Nephrons where Erythropoeiten is made…a hormone (I think) which plays a part in creating hemoglobin. When the hemoglobin is not being made properly, it contributes to CMML. Also, if the Nephrons are sick, they do not keep creatine inside the kidneys and it leaks into the blood. Creatinine is a poison which should not make its way into the blood. In Dad’s case, they don’t know which came first, the Kidney Failure or the predisposition to CMML. Either way both diseases go together since both problems originate in the same part of his kidneys.

Sorry for the severe lack of medical lingo. It has been a loooong few days. I know what I am trying to say and usually I can find the words. For tonight, I am sure that you get the idea.

Caroline

shelagh

thank you for your help Caroline, you have been most informative and given me a better understanding of what may be going on with such a complicated condition.

Neil

Kathy and Caroline gave you 2 good possibilities for blood in the urine.
    Another is prostate problems.
    Are his platelets low? Another possibility.
    Another is a urinary track infection.
    Lots of possible reasons. Some can be handled with an antibiotic. Others???
    Would get him to the doc to get checked out. It does not take much blood to put a tinge of red in the bowl. Hopefully it is not getting redder as time passes.

Ani

Shelagh,

My husband, Jim had three episodes during July/August of blood in the urine, one episode lasted 6 DAYS!! whilst the other two about 24 hours. Yes, he has low platelets, they dropped to 57,000 after the third bleed and after several weeks of waiting and getting his platelets up to 92,000 with sesame seeds and pineapple he was able to have the cause, Bladder Stones, zapped with laser in late October and he is now doing well. Next CBC is due this Wednesday and we are crossing our fingers.
    Ani

shelagh

Ani – thank you so much for you response. John has been in hospital now for 3 weeks – However today they have said they are going to try a different antibiotic – their main concern seems to be that they cannot stabilise his temperature. I do hope goes well for you at the hospital this week – I will keep everything crossed

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert