MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Vacation advice

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Vacation advice

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Paula Voell
    Participant

I have intermediate MDS; last hemoglobin was at 6.2 (before transfusion of 2 units of blood.) My only treatment for the last 5 months has been transfusions at an interval of about 6 weeks.
    We are considering going to Hilton Head for a couple months, from Buffalo, but I am concerned about being immunocompromised and also arranging for transfusions in another area.
    Anyone have advice?
    Paula, age 79

debbie stern
    Participant

Hi Paula,
    I live in Buffalo too and am treated at Roswell which is probably where you are treated?. This would be a good question to discuss with your Oncologist. I bet they could help arrange transfusions in Hilton Head if they are okay with you going.Feel free to contact me. My number is: 716-688-0058.

Bob Cook
    Participant

Contact the MDS foundation here on their website. I went to a conference and asked about traveling overseas and they can give you a list of Center for Excellence anywhere, and arrange to have you bio on file in case it’s needed so those centers know you.

Jimmy Greenhut
    Participant

Get your booster, ask your Dr if he knows anyone there? Your Dr might be able to give orders? For a hospital where you can get a CBC every 2 weeks and transfusions as needed. Or check with the MDS foundation. Your Dr should give you a couple pints to start off with too. You also shouldn’t be getting down to Below 7.5. 6.2 HB that is low. “Quality of life” Moffitt is on board with that for me. GL & happy travels 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert