MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Vague prognosis

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Vague prognosis

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    N Marsh
    Participant

My 69 y/o husband was diagnosed with MDS . He had already had thrombocytopenia. Of late, his platelets continue to drop to 11, 12, or 13k . They have always been in the 20’s. He underwent a fourth bone biopsy/aspiration. Now we wait.
    I’m interested in knowing if anyone else facing MDS, has had to undergo more frequent transfusions. Is this a sign that the end of his life is growing near?

bexar2120
    Participant

Myself, 61 y/o male. I also had MDS and thrombocytopenia; my counts continually dropped, and they were no where near normal range. Once the lower threshold at my facility was reached I received platelets. I will continue to receive blood and platelets transfusions, since I decided to receive supportive care and eventually hospice.

As far as end of life growing near- that is what you should be asking the healthcare team!
    I have been on blood/platelet transfusions since November 2023. My diagnosed MDS progressed to Acute Myeloid Leukemia at that time.

My advice is make sure you have his personal affairs in order; will, medical/durable power of attorney, directive to physicians, beneficiary on financial accounts, etc.

Janet
    Participant

I too have had the various cytopenias. When my hemoglobin was 10-11 which the Oncologists consider near normal, I was on Watch and Wait. When Hemoglobin dropped to 9 I started treatment. Currently Hemoglobin is normal, but other cytopenias still exist. I am not a candidate for transfusion until Hemoglobin drops to 8. I understand when I have a transfusion, I will feel better, but I am feeling better right now. There is no cure for MDS. We are all on palliative care. Treatments stop working after a while and then the providers try something else. If we can tolerate a stem cell transplant, then there is a potential to live a healthy life with someone else’s bone marrow.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert