MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

venous port

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board venous port

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    marylinda

has anyone have any information or experience with a venous port. Having blood taken and getting transfused it a real painful and timely event and I was wondering if a venous port would beneficial.
    Also when you have a transfusion, do you feel stronger right away, I’ve only had two and they haven’t seemed to help much. I am still extremely weak, Thank you

Jimbob

If you are “getting pocked” often, it is something most doctors will suggest. I had various types of ports and it was the least intrusive. Ask the nureses.

marylinda

are you awake when it is put in and does it go in the caroitive artery/ Thank you for your response I really appreciate it

ButchL
    Participant

I know when my wife had hers put in, she was awake. We were responsible for flushing it when home which was very easy.

I know in her case, every time she had platelet infusions, they made her sleepy where as red blood gave her some energy.

I hope this helps and good luck!!

Neil

Hi Marylinda,
    Think it might be personal preference.
    I have been having samples drawn from the inside of my elbow for almost 9 years.
    At one point was getting infusions of amifostine every Mon. Wed and Fri for 90 days. They offered to install a port, but I opted to “get stuck” instead. A port was somewhat activity limiting and had some level of infection risk. Since I did not want to reduce my activity and the risk of infection was not to my liking I did not get a port. There were times when I was stuck 6 times before they got a “connection”. After a while I would go into the lab and run hot water over my arm for a few minutes, wrap it in a towel and go to a chair when the tech had my set up ready. Also pleaded for one of 2 techs to stick me. They would hit it the first time. I avoided the rest of the staff. Told them they were very beautiful ladies, but they had hands of stone.

sugarwhale

Dear Marylinda,
    I can’t tell you beans about a port, but I can tell you about receiving a transfusion of packed red blood cells. When my mom has had this, it DOES make her feel better, BUT it usually doesn’t happen until a couple of days afterward. A nurse explained to us that a transfusion makes one feel lousy for the first day or so. The energy comes a couple of days later. Of course, that’s red blood cells; I can’t tell you about anything else.’Hope this helps.
    ~~~ Janet

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert