MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

very hard decison to make cord blood transplant

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board very hard decison to make cord blood transplant

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    3kids1dog

Bev-

Good luck to you and your husband. I agree the 33% chance far outways the few weeks/months.

God bless you.

jaxem

Hi, Simon
    My wife was given adriamycin after her breast surgery since she was estrogen negative & drugs like tomoxifin wouldn’t have worked. We were told that less than 1% of patients get blood diseases such as leukemia and usually it occurs about 5 years after starting the adriamycin. Since we were never able to get her into remission which is recommended for cords, we found the Univ. Minn. had a trial where natural killer cells were obtained from a haplo or half donor (my son) and transfused following a pre-transplant process. The NK cells would hopefully kill the leukemia cells and after about 10 days, stem cells would be transplanted from my son. Since you’re dealing with mature cells, the waiting time for grafting would be less and the entire process would be less critical than for cords. My wife became much too fragile for them to go through with the procedure. Following about a month after returning home and about 3 years after 1st being diagnosed with MDS, my wife passed.

Harold P

Hi Bev, Jack & Ms Simon,
    I haven’t been on the forums for awhile due to helping my mom & dad with health issues.

Ms Simon,
    Thanks for the feedback on my questions. I do understand why you are glad you went with the SCT. I am hoping & praying that the Vidaza is working for you. I am going to read your blog. Please keep us updated.

Jack,
    Since I haven’t been on the forums for ahwile I would like to know how your wife is doing? Was she able to qualify for the Haplo? I continue to pray for all of you. Please keep me posted.

Bev,
    I do understand why Barry has chosen the umbilicord transplant. I read your Caringbridge journal everytime I get an email saying it has been updated. You & Barry have been dealing with a great deal of stress. I keep you all in my prayers. I hope you have a speedy recovery from your recent surgery. Tell Barry to stay strong & to try to keep his spirits up. Don’t give into to this horrific disease. Take care.

My husband is continuing to do remarkably well. Thank God. He is still able to do the wait & watch.

God Bless you all.

Sandy & Pete Peterson

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert