MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Vidaza infusion?

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Vidaza infusion?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Judith Barnes
    Participant

Has anyone switched from subq to Infusion for Vidaza? I really don’t like the injection site discomfort from the subcutaneous injections. I have had a port for breast cancer treatment twice. I don’t love them, but they are the lesser of many evils. I have made an appointment for getting a port but I would like to first speak to someone who has made the switch.

Judith Barnes
    Participant

Clarification: this is my sixth cycle, and I am having a good response to Vidaza.

Amy S.
    Participant

My Vidaza treatment is via infusion,no injection. Basically I get the medication via IV. I do not have a port. There is no discomfort.

Jerry Allen
    Participant

Do they have to start an IV each time or is it a heparin lock for the week of treatment? I’m getting injections, two per day for 7days. So far so good. Except the last two shots of the cycle burned like fire 🔥. Otherwise they’re tolerable. Round 4 coming up Monday.

Amy S.
    Participant

Yes, for me, they start the IV each time, no heparin lock.

Jerry Allen
    Participant

Did you ever have the injections burn like fire? If so,what was the cause? Mine have been pretty good except for the last two.

Judith Barnes
    Participant

Jerry, the shots cause me itching, burning, bee-sting-like sensations, and loss of sleep. I can’t take it anymore! I’m getting a port.

Glen Sakamura
    Participant

When first diagnosed I was administered subQ injections with Vidaza. Two shots for a week. First it hurt a bit but with the nurses and I experimenting the best application, they would spin it in their hands first before injection. This helped and giving it a little faster helped too. As for a port, I got one put in and couldn’t be happier. Unfortunately for me, Vidaza sustains me as I have MDS/MPN overlap Uncl, Sweets. Good luck

Judith Barnes
    Participant

Glen, thanks so much for that. My nurses all know to spin the syringes in their hands first. But I had such a bad week of belly shots and just can’t take it anymore. I’m really looking forward to getting my port. 🥰

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert