MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Vidaza injection sites

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Vidaza injection sites

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Paula Hadley
    Participant

My husband was diagnosed early Sept. 2023 and is High Risk MDS. He is on his second cycle of Vidaza and gets 3 injections each day for 7 days then 21 day recovery. He does rotate between abdomen and upper arms but wondering if anyone had done one shot in separate areas everyday? My thought if less overall volume injected at the site would help bruising and redness. Pretty much know he will bruise as his platelets run between 11 and 27. He usually takes all three shots in one area and rotates the sites everyday. Not sure if one injection in different locations each day would help. Thanks!

Bill Corbin
    Participant

Vidaza is given based on body weight. I get two injections of Vidaza each day for the seven days, and have them split into two areas. R and L Abdomen day one, R and L upper arm day two and repeat for the seven days. I have tried both injections one location each day, rotating between abdomen and upper arms, which results in slightly more localized inflammation at that site than splitting the sites. Either way my abdomen gets quite red and sore. The disadvantage of both in the same site for me is I get a rash on the back of my thigh if both injections go into my L abdomen on the same day. If I split one R and one L, no rash. Since abdomen has more room, I prefer the injections there. But not room for seven days of injections in abdomen alone. Back of arms don’t get as red as my abdomen, but they do get very sore.

Paula Hadley
    Participant

Thank you. I appreciate your input. We will try rotating more on cycle 3, and hope for a little less post injection bruising and redness. Wishing the best for you.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert