MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Vidaza–injection vs infusion?

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Vidaza–injection vs infusion?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    SimonChai

Does anyone have any thoughts about whether side effects differ if one takes Vidaza via injection versus infusion?

Thanks!

PupsRule

Hi, Simon — I’ve read elsewhere on the list that infusion is preferable because the nasty welting, bruising and peeling are completely avoided. I imagine that it takes longer, though — perhaps an hour or so. If I had a port I’d definitely do it that way. As far as nausea is concerned (and as I learned the hard way), I take a Kytril tablet an hour ahead of time and that does the trick.

Good luck!

Kirby

Hi Simon,
    I’m new to Vidaza, one cycle so far, I start the next on Dec 8. I did subQ injections, in my case there was no pain with each injection. They actually felt better going in than the Procrit and Neupogen I take. I did have very slight soreness to the touch in my arms a couple of days after the injections, not bad at all.

I’ve talked to a couple of others who do ok on the injections.
    One lady, however, was thin and the lack of fat made her injections very painful, she now uses infusions.

If one has a port it would seem like the infusions might be a good option.

3kids1dog

My husband has had 4 rounds of Vidaza via infusion in his port. He has not had any side effects and seems to tolerate it well.

SimonChai

Hi,Kirby and Judith:

Thanks for your thoughts on Vidaza injections and infusions. I don’t have a port and only one good arm (which recently was swollen after an IV with Vidaza slipped from the vein into the tissue) so that’s why my doc switched me to injections. But I also don’t have much fat so maybe that’s why they hurt so much. Anyway, none of this is as important as whether or not the Vidaza is working. Still have my fingers crossed on that one.

jaxem

simon
    hi, long time since we last communicated. hope all is going well for you. are you going to opt for another cord? have you tried the donor registry again? have you also checked on what they’re doing at Johns Hopkins re haplos? good luck to you.

SimonChai

Hi, Jack. Thanks for your email.

No, I’m not having another transplant. No one suggested it and I frankly couldn’t handle another one.

I’ve had a rough four months since my relapse–in and out of the hospital, lots of fevers, more and more transfusion-dependent, etc.

I just finished round 5 of Vidaza and still hoping it’ll kick into high gear. My doc wants to switch me to Dacogen in January if it doesn’t.

No, I don’t know what’s happening at Hopkins and don’t even know what a haplo is. What do you know about it?

How are you? It’s great you’ve stayed on this list as you are so knowledgeable.

All the best,
    Simon

jaxem

Hi, Simon
    sorry about your rough time. I guess after rnd 6, they’ll a bmb to see what’s doing. cords are so sensitive and difficult to take. You’re so close to Hopkins and they’re well known for haplo transplants. a haplo transplant is a stem cell half match. that makes a son or daughter (usually that hasn’t had a child) a match. now your transplanting mature adult cells rather than infantile cells as in cords. the Univ of Minn does this also but uses your match’s natural killer cells (NKC) prior to infusing the stem cells. The theory is that the NKC will seek out & kill the leukemic cells, then following a short period, the stem cells are infused.

SimonChai

Thanks for the info, Jack. The haplo transplant sounds too much like a transplant to me but I’m grateful to know about it.

No, I’m sticking with Vidaza/Dacogen. I consulted with the folks at Hutch a few months ago and they agreed with the path I’m on. The MDS/leukemia expert there said that he doesn’t think induction chemo would work in my case (my feeling also) and my only other option would be a Phase One trial. Since I know the limitations of animal research, I’m staying away from a Phase One and there don’t seem to be any promising Phase Twos or Threes that I qualify for.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert