MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Vitamin D

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Vitamin D

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Bini wife

There is a new buzz around vitamin D, the sunshine vitamin, which is supposed to help bones among many other organs and systems. My husband and I got tested and we both had very low levels. He started taking 1200 IU and he’s been feeling better and his counts have improved slightly (from HGB 8s to 9s) just outside the transfusion range. We remembered that a couple of years ago there were some trials with vitamin D for MDS which apparently went nowhere. It’s early to tell if this is real or will be sustainable but we were wondering if anyone else has any experience or knowledge of vitamin D supplementation.

We were unable to get on the Forum for a while and it’s so good to be able communicate again.

Carmen

Zoe

I have heard of the studies also. I did a bit of research because my calcium is always low, and while I am too tired at the moment to explain my theory (which no medical professional would likely give credence to anyway, so it doesn’t matter :*) I decided since there was a link between parathyroid glands, calcium and Vitamin D, and energy levels, I would start faithfully taking my vitamins which have a full dose of Vit D and calcium–along with just about everything else. So my long antedoctal story is that it has made a tremendous difference in my energy levels. No longer having days when I am too tired to eat, I don’t need naps everyday, and I am able to function past 7pm.

It could be anything in those vitamin pills which is helping my energy, but I will be curious to see what my next calcium level test shows.

For whatever my late night rambling means…:*)

Zoe

marlene

We had John’s Vit D levels checked and they too were low. We started supplementing with 2000 iu but it till didn’t put him into a normal range. We’d like to see it at 50ng’s at least. A big part of the problem, I think, is it was not enough to compensate for the lack of sunshine in the winter months. So he’s up to 5,000iu/day and we will check it again in a few months.

This is an excellent video clip…its a presentation by a doc to docs regarding vitamin D.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emjCzaHtSrg&feature=channel

There’s a lot of info at http://www.vitamindcouncil.org you may want to check out.

One last item….they found that any vitamin D tests run by Quest Labs were faulty. The results were off in that vitamin D levels were reported to be higher than they really were.

Jimbob

It’s been a few years for me but when my level was low, my doctor started me on 4000 IU/day but changed it to 50,000 twice a week as a therapeutic level. It made a major difference and no longer required.

btw, I will be celebrating my 5th anniversary of SCT this Sunday.

Mary4Mike
    Participant

Jimbob,

Congratulations on your five year mark for your SCT. It does us all good to hear news of such milestones!!!!

Blessings to you, all of the doctors and nurses involved and especially your donor smile

Mary

I have RARs with a HGB around 9, no treatment yet, just found out my Vitamin D level was below normal 18. I started taking 1000 u D3 and do feel better, my head feels clearer, my energy level increased, not sure if there’s a connection but I hope so!

good Luck!

worry in nj

carmen, i too have had very low vitamin d over the last 4 yrs. i caution that low D level can mimic anemia. mds and vitamin d can be problematic. and easily brushed aside amonongst all the other "stuff". i was diagnosed 14 yrs. ago. i am 65 now and have had transfusions, iron…wish you the best "worried in NJ ‘

celebrations
    Participant

Hi,
    shortly after beeing diagnosed with MDS 7 years ago, Vitamin D was the first "drug" I was prescribed. My hemo at that time told me we would start with a high dosis and try for about six weeks. In the leaflet of the Vitamin D package, there was marked sth about a potential effect to raise the erythrocytes…anyway it did not with me. This is my experience with Vitamin D. Good luck, maybe the effectiveness will continue!

worry in nj

Thankyou for Vit. D info. Over 3 yrs. off and on barely a difference. vit. d is taking on or shall i say be a wonder vit.

worry in nj

hi this is ‘ worried in n.j. ‘ i wanted to thank everyone talking about the VITAMIN D dilema. My concern from all that I have learned about MDS is it presents with a few unrelated "nuances" . please don’t mis- understand I am a commonsence person (and not a medical professional). however this MDS seems to be made up of ‘ NON threatening Nuances " until they present themselves holding your body captive. Well i shall close for now . Gods Speed Thankyou to the foundation for a place to speak and feel safe doing so. worry in nj

james han
    Participant

Vitamin D3 Function: vitamin D is important for building and keeping strong bones. Vitamin D3 is used to treat and prevent bone disorders (such as rickets, osteomalacia). Source: Beef liver, cheese, egg yolks and fatty fish.

lucyls lucyls
    Blocked

I hated it due to the fact not just was I excommunicated from the Cheap Nike Air Max Trainers household but folks thought

they knew who I was, when definitely they were prejudging me based upon who they thought I was, he says.Changing my title was not about running from who I was, but freeing

myself from the box that was preventing me from becoming who I knew I could be.
    Khadine Aharon, 44, also changed her surname to separate her from her relatives, choosing a identify out of a book of surnames she found in the library.
    I searched for months I wanted a title with a lot of meaning and Aharon means mountain of strength, she told information.com.au.
    Should you are thinking of changing your name, I would suggest you do not rush into it. It is actually a major decision so get time to find out what feels appropriate.
    Aharon hosted a celebratory event to officially come out with her new name, and each anniversary reflects over the importance of her new name.
    Make a celebration or ritual from it it reinforces the importance of it, she says.
    Names are energy, just like language and music. You carry it with you and it truly is important to feel excellent with that energy.
    Sky also swears through the importance of having the proper title, and when she looked up the meaning of her names, their power became clear.
    My birth name was associated with reincarnation and fairies and also the afterlife but my new title cheap nike blazer sale equalled

ambition and being the boss and a go-getter and that is me to a tee, she says.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 5 months ago by lucyls lucyls.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert