MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Waiting on Bone Marrow Biopsy…

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Waiting on Bone Marrow Biopsy…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Carrie

Dad’s oncologist requested a BMB. She doesn’t think it’s good that he’s needed blood and platelets twice a week now.

She also said that, since he hasn’t had the Vidaza since March, if they started it again it would be like starting over. I guess she doesn’t want that.

We’re getting the results of the BMB on May 24th while I’m in Buffalo for my mom’s surgery. I’ll probably be there with dad when he gets the news (hopefully good). I’ve never been there when dad talked to his doctor about his MDS so I’m glad I’ll be there this time.

Dad goes for more blood work on Friday. They’re also testing him for C-dif again. They think it may be back frown .

Needless to say, these two weeks will be excruciating. When MDS to AML can be very devestating very quickly for people with secondary MDS, I have to wonder why they can’t get the results done quicker? I understand that other patients need BMBs, too, but we don’t know how to act if he already has AML. I’m not ready to start treating him like he doesn’t have much time left.

I can tell he’s very stressed. He’s putting extreme importance on little things. For example, he was freaking out about a metallic noise in the house and convinced my mom to get off the phone with me to find out what it was. I’m not surprised because I’m the same way. It’s easier to stress about the mundane than the very serious issues we’re facing.

We’re planning his “Bear Hunt” for my visit. My whole family is ready for it smile . My mom’s friends are telling her that she can’t laugh after her surgery because she’ll be in a lot of pain. We don’t know how we’re going to handle that! smile

Well, thanks again for listening,
    Carrie

ButchL
    Participant

I hope all goes well. You’ve got my prayers. Give me a call when you get here……

Butch

LRG

Carrie,
    They should be able to give you the preliminary results soon. We would have my dads BMB done in the morning and then they would usually be able to tell us something by that evening. Please hang in there and keep us posted. I’ll be praying for you!!

Lori

gemloyear

Hi Carrie, Someone is pulling your Mom’s leg, I had that surgery at age67 and had very little pain, only took 2 pain pills! Tell her to be prepared for self catherization though, that was the worst part. Good luck to your mom, and I hope things turn well for your dad.
    Ellie

Carrie

ellie,

I THOUGHT so! Her friends are so funny smile . Thanks for the info smile . I know she’s worried about the pain. I asked if she remembered that she bore 3 babies smile .

I’ll tell her about the catherization. Yuck…
    I’ll never get sick or hurt or have surgery or anything smile !

Everyone else,
    Thanks for the thoughts and the info. My mom works at the same hospital and she’s across the hall from the bone marrow lab. She said that they did the biopsy late in the day so it won’t even start to be processed until today. I hope we hear something preliminary soon.

I’m a little upset with someone very close to me who is trying to tell me not to be so upset. It’s coming from the heart but I don’t like it when someone tells me how I should feel. I know that there’s nothing I can do, I know that everyone dies eventually, I know there’s no point worrying myself to illness or anything, but is it crazy to think about it a lot and be upset confused ? Ugh!

Love,
    Carrie

B. Greene

The waiting is so hard. I do know that they can get it much quicker so hopefully they will so. I have no idea how anyone could not worry about it.
    Hang in there. Barbra

PaigeS

Carrie,

The waiting is the absolute worse!! Hang in there and ignore people who think they’re “helping” you. No one understand until they’ve been through this first hand.

Hugs,
    Paige

Kathy G

Carrie-
    I hope you get some positive news from the BMB – I know with my Dad’s it’s usually a couple of days and the last time I know they sent some of it to Mayo in Rochester, MN. I totally understand your ups and downs and I’m glad we have this board – it’s good to see good news and keeps it real when we don’t. Hang in there and know you have many board “friends”.

Kathy

shirlsgirl

Hi Carrie,

Hope you have a wonderful time with your Mom and Dad. Crossing my fingers that you hear some positive news from the bmb. The ‘bear hunt’ is going to be hilarious…I can’t wait to hear all about it.

Take care,

Jody

Terri

Carrie, Hope the results are good as Barbra said the waiting is the hardest. Bob has had quite a few BMB since dx and each time we are on pins and needles. But on the other hand Grateful as we would not know how Bob is progressing from time to time. Our dr stays on top of Bob’s counts and also the Slides he reviews each visit we see him. I wish that everyone here is as comfortable with their doctors as we are.

Carrie

Thank you all!

I mostly trust Dad’s doctor. I know she’ll do what is best for him and I know she’s very good. It’s just that nothing is good enough for him in my perspective!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert