MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

WBC on the rise despite Hydroxea

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board WBC on the rise despite Hydroxea

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    JoAnn Nordstrom
    Participant

My husband’s WBC count continues to rise despite taking 500 mg of Hydroxea every other day. His WBC went from 55,000 to 69,000 in 2 1/2 weeks even after being on Hydroxea for 3 weeks. The Hydroxea has brought his platelet levels, which were once high, within in the normal range. So it is working on that but not his WBC count. His oncologist just bumped him up to taking the Hydroxea every day, just yesterday, with the possibility of bumping the dosage. Has anybody experienced this same thing? There is talk that if the numbers keep going up, infusions will need to be considered. Those of you who have experienced infusion, what medication was used and what were the results? He is 68 years old and has multiple health issues including diabetes and high blood pressure to name just a couple.

Shari Dalal
    Participant

While I can’t answer your question, I had one regarding your husband’s side effects on the hydoxea. My father (80 years old) just started on the medicine yesterday to bring down his white blood count, which at the last reading on Friday was 129,000. What side effects has your husband experienced while using this drug? We just had my Dad seek a second opinion as the first doctor didn’t have any suggestions for a treatment except for weekly blood transfusions. We saw his white blood count rise about 20,000 per week so we are hoping for some sort of improvement. He does have kidney issues so the drs do have to take that into consideration when suggesting treatment. Any insight you can give would be greatly appreciated!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert