MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

We lost the fight

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board We lost the fight

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    gemloyear

Glen lost his fight with AML on Oct. 5th.2006.He entered the hospital on Sept.19th. with a fever and malaise. Lab cultures and CBC were taken but the source of his infection was not indentified.He was treated with IV antibiotics for 5 days and then released. He was re-admitted 2 days later, again with fever and subsequently diagnosed with Babesiosis, a rare tick-borne protozoan illness acquired thru a blood transfusion.We thought that the irradiated,filtered blood was safe as it is tested for the most common serious diseases, however not tick-borne diseases.I feel that it is important for others to be aware of illnesses which may be acquired thru blood transfusions. It is often asymptomatic, but may cause malaria like illness,characterized by fever and hemolytic anemia. It is also associated with severe complications. The risk for developing this clinical infection is increased for the elderly, asplenic or immunosuppressed patients.
    His case has been reported to the CDC and the Minnesota Dept. of Health who are investigating to find the source of the blood.
    Needless to say our family is devastated as we hoped to have him for “awhile” longer.
    God Bless all who are traveling this journey.
    Take care, Ellie

Terri

Ellie, I am so sorry, May God be with you ,
    There are no words, but know you are in my thoughts and prayers

shirlsgirl

I am so sorry Ellie. Please know that Mom and I are thinking of you. We are so saddened by your loss. Glen has fought so hard for so long. It really isn’t fair that such a rare illness has taken Glen. I’m so sorry.

Thinking of you and your family Ellie.

Hugs, Jody

Bkwits

Dear Ellie,

My deepest sympathies to you and your family. Glen and you fought quite a battle. You have been an inspiration and comfort to me and (I’m sure) others on this forum. May God bless and keep you.
    Barb

Jerry

Ellie …

Debbie and I will always remember the valiant fight that you and Glen put up against this insidious disease. Our prayers remain with you. God bless.

Jerry

Russ

Condolences and prayer that GOD will provide comfort and grace to the family.

Jack_dup1

Elle,
    I am so sorry to hear about Glen. Our prayers are with you and your family.
    Jack and Anita

sarah

Ellie, My prayers are with you and your family. As I read your post I could not hold back the tears. I know your pain. May God comfort you with his amazing grace.
    Sarah

eve

dear ellie

my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this most difficult time

eve

lucym

Ellie,
    I am so sorry for your loss. Keep strong, I know it is hard.
    Lucy

Naomi

Ellie: I am so sorry to hear about Glen. You have both put up a good fight.
    My prayers are with you and your family.
    Naomi

Jimbob

Ellie,
    I am so sorry that Glenn had to endure more problems before his fight was over. I know your faith is strong but even when you think you are prepared it is difficult to lose someone you love. May God give you and your family peace to get you through these difficult times.
    Jim

Caroline

Dear Ellie,

Please accept my condolences. Glen fought hard for a long time and you fought right along with him. May the peace of the Lord help you and your family through this time.

Blessings.
    Caroline

patti

Ellie,

After such a fight, to have an infection from a blood transfusion… I am so sorry. Thank you for your willingness to share what happened to Glen because I had no idea this was even possible. May God comfort and give you peace during this difficult time.

Patti

TEMBO

Oh Ellie;

I too thought irradiated/filtered blood was as safe as it gets. I too fought so hard to get irradiated blood for my husband, thinking it would elimate the disease concern. My husband has no immune system to speak of, and to fight the mds to only get an infection from the blood transfusions is alarming and saddening. I disslove into tears thinking about what you are going through. Ellie we need to voice our concern together. If we can support your efforts in any fashion let us know. I so hurt with you and your family. But I also have such dismay that this can happen this day and time. Our thoughts, prayers, and love goes out to you.

Words are not enough,
    God’s Comfort and Peace,
    Karen

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert