MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

weird symptom?

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board weird symptom?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    g-masews

This is a question I’ve been anxious to ask someone. My husband’s legs are beginning to discolor. Looks like lots of bruises, but aren’t.Just the skin turning dark in places. His toes have all turned blackish (really just looks “dirty”) and there is a white line across each toe knuckle. He can’t feel any of it, in other words, it doesn’t feel any different than normal skin, so he ignores it, but I was wondering if anyone has seen or heard of such a thing. He doesn’t see the doctor so I haven’t been able to ask him. However, we are going to Mexico for New Years and I told my husband he can’t go without getting an antibiotic first, and in order to do that, he’ll have to get some blood work done, so maybe we’ll see if any changes have occured since his last test 6 months ago.

marylinda

I think you know that a call to the doctor is necessary, if he won’t do it than you could. Even to pacify yourself, a call is necessary. Sounds like an infection to me. This is not a fun disease and I am sure that even if your husband does not have a scheduled appt, the doctor would want you to call. I read you previous posts and he was pretty sick with infections before so if I were in your shoes, I would call the doctor. If the doctor says nothing to be concerned about you would have just spent a few minutes of your time for a worryfree day, If he needs to be seen, the earlier the better. Good luck

g-masews

Your right about previous infections, which were cellulitis, and those came on within hours with all the fever, chills etc. that accompany that. He has had this for months and no symptoms of infection. Feels fine, just looks very weird. Wondered if it had a name.

CarolineG

g-masews.

I agree with Marylinda. Call someone, even a pharmacist and explain the symptoms. Our pharmacists here in Ontario are great for helping with advice. We also have Public Health Departments which are always available to answer questions and point us in the right direction. I would try that route if you don’t want to phone the doctor.

Is your husband Diabetic? Those symptoms describe my Mom’s legs and feet for 6 months before she was hospitalized. It turned out that she was Diabetic and did not know it. Now she is on insulin shots and her legs and feet are better. I think that you would be better to know what the problem is before your husband leaves the country for a holiday even if it is nothing at all.

Good luck to you,
    Caroline

sugarwhale

Dear G-masews,
    I certainly agree with everyone that you should definitely consult a doctor about your husband’s legs. However, for whatever it’s worth, I’ll tell you about…MY legs! They look bruised all over, although there’s no pain. They won’t go away. I’ve had them for DECADES. To my knowledge, I am healthy. I DID go to the doctor; he said they were only of cosmetic importance and nothing to worry about. However, by all means, take your husband to a good doctor. There is no sense in taking chances. Best wishes to you!
    ~~~ Janet

Naomi

I also have the discolorations on my legs. The dermo called it necrobiosis. It is usually connected with diabetes which I do not have. Maybe it is just another symptom of the MDS. I did receive shots to remove some of them about 4 years ago, but they came back, so I have just left them alone. They do not hurt.

Naomi

Suzanne

I have discolorations too-not black though. just light brown patches that look like bruising. My nurse practitioner told me thay are from the chemo and probably will never go away.

Terri

Bobs lower legs and feet also have the discoloration, I thought it was from the Low platelets and he has marks like bruises as well. I wouldn’t say it is black but definately discolored. He has feelings but he has aches in his feet just like he does in his knees, back and hips, Doc said last time some of that is from his bone marrow being so impacted with I guess too many cells. Going to have him look at the ankles next visit in about two weeks.
    Bob has so many blood test done I can’t imagine them not knowing if he was diabetic but Guess one more thing to check out.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert