MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

What are Blasts?

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board What are Blasts?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Even with the Glossary, my light is just not coming on I do not see my plt Dr. till February ..you guys have stirred a lot of questions in me confused

Dennis

Blast Cells – Immature cells that mature into the three types of blood cells. Also called blasts.

D

Jerry

Annette …

To amplify on what Dennis said … “In myelodysplastic diseases, the stem cells do not mature into healthy red blood cells, white blood cells, or platelets. The immature blood cells, called blasts, do not work the way they should and die in the bone marrow or soon after they enter the blood. As a result, there are fewer healthy red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets”. Hope this helps ….

Jerry

Thank you Guys, Kinda of what I thought they were but didn’t trust my reasoning enjoy your evening

bety

How do you know that you have blast cells? My husband’s counts are all very low. He has bone marrow failure. Can he have many blast cells at the same time? When he had a bmb three years ago, his blast cells were less than 5%. As far as I know, he has none circulating in his blood streame. Bety

Husband, 86, pancytopenia, RARS, wbc 1, hg 7, plts 99. Feels well, very pale, dozes a little more than usual…seems normal for his age. He is more active than most men his age. Gets aranesp 300 mcg q2w. May start his first transfusion soon.

Jerry

Bety …

The blasts in the bone marrow are diagnosed through a bone marrow biopsy and the blasts in the blood stream can be determined with a blood test. A patient is generally thought to have leukemia when the blasts are greater thasn 20% in the bone marrow. Hope this helps a bit.

Jerry

bety

Jerry, thank you for your explanation. I would ask our hematologist more about blasts but I do not want to raise muy husband’s anxiety level or increase his depression. I don’t think this would help his immune system. Thank goodness I have you all to answer my concerns. All the best, Bety

covergirl

Bety,
    I do understand your not wanting to upset your husband in any way. However, you should consider talking to his HEMO alone to get all of your questions answered directly. As your husbands caregiver, it is imperative you are a part and understand his treatment.

–cheryl

bety

Cheryl, Thank you for your advice. I had planned to speak to our hemo but was waiting for the time when my husb would have his first blood transfusion. I expect that it will be quite soon. Meanwhile, I have gotten answers to most of my questions while my husb is present. Our hemo speaks quietly, my husb is a little hard of hearing and fortunately, tends to tune out when anything medical is discussed. Hopefully, I will be better informed soon. All the best, Bety

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert